Attempting cupfeeding....again

ChamChick

I didnt have much success the first time, but try, try again I suppose. I'm just afraid with all the new foliage in their cages that the crickets would have too many places to hide, and the chams wouldn't be able to find them. Both cups are in places where they would be able to see inside, but still nothing. Any tips on this would be much appreciated. Should I just leave the cups in and wait it out??

I'm right there with you. Ive attempted to free roam the crickets and while he does eat a few - its nearly not within the normal limits of what is suggested (15-20 a day). He might grab like 5 a day from the foliage.

So I've attempted cup feeding, taking the tips for a good feeder cup from a 1/2 gallon jug and creating a vine "highway" to and from the cup. He hasnt touched a single one in there (2 days). The cup is right under his favorite basking spot, out of the heat produced but easily within visible range of the Cham when he is relaxed.

Mine had the cup in for about a week and a half before she really figured it out. She would grab one or two from it every other day after the first few days and then all of sudden it was like a lightbulb came on and she cleans it out immediately now. If it's easily spotted then just wait, and if you're worried throw some feeders in free range too in case your cham can find those.

Ok, well that makes me feel better, thanks guys.

I looked in my female's cup and about half are gone, so either they are escapees, or she ate them. The male still has them all. Here's hoping he catches on.

Eeek...well I suppose if it's necessary, then it must be done. Right now I'm feeding 1/4 inchers, so they do have some difficulty getting out it seems, but I'm going to search around her cage and see if I find any that may have escaped. If so, maimed they shall become... ;)

I made a milk jug container and I feel like it's better than letting them free roam with the way I have my cage set up. Crickets and worms can move around and climb up the screen I have affixed to the back of it and can't escape. Although I do have to cut the crickets back legs off so they can't jump out of it. He ate out of it already and I just put it in there today so I think mine will get pretty used to it. He doesn't eat too much to begin with though right now.

I have had great success with cupfeeding. I use a clear plastic cup that is tall enough that the crickets cannot jump out, even without breaking off the legs. I have found that if Herbie (veiled chameleon) isn't eating/noticing the crickets, I hold the cup up in front of him so he can see the crickets move and the slowly lead him down to the bottom of the cage where I keep the cup in the same location at all times. He has now learned exactly where the cup since I keep it in the same spot everyday, and will actually head down to the cup around feeding time to let me know he is waiting!

Eeek...well I suppose if it's necessary, then it must be done. Right now I'm feeding 1/4 inchers, so they do have some difficulty getting out it seems, but I'm going to search around her cage and see if I find any that may have escaped. If so, maimed they shall become... ;)

I hear ya, I could never do the leg pulling off thing either. You know the old saying "Don't do as I do, do as I say"! It's like you know you are feeding them to the lions anyways so what's the difference. lol!!!!

1/4" crickets, hard enough catching them let alone pulling their legs off. I just put about 10 in my make shift cup feeder. A 1/2 gal milk jug, back cut off with about a 1 1/2 inch depth, screen going up the back hot glued to the jug and tied off onto the back of the cage. about 7 of them got loose. Either I make the depth of the jug higher and the screen smaller or Im going to spend an hour pulling legs

I cut their hind legs off... IMG_2264.jpg

Well it seems my female has taken to cupfeeding. I checked her enclosure and didnt find any stragglers. My male on the other hand, nothing yet, but try, try again. I will be feeding him again around 12:30 (I feed my crickets every morning around 7am) so hopefully he will catch on soon.

Back
Top Bottom