Attack my little minions. ATTACK!

sharlaxle

Ok so I have a rather persistent infestation of what we call grease ants. (little black ants.) So this is my rant about how I am seriously considering letting the 26 little voracious eating hatchlings free range near where they are coming in at. Bet it wouldn't take three days before nary and ant would dare cross my threshold again!
We don't use pesticides here, or in the area, so I am reasonably sure they are as healthy as what anyone catches out in the wild. They aren't toxic according to research, and as long as I continue to supplement with nice gut stuffed healthy little buggies on the side I don't see too much of a risk letting the little stomachs-with-legs earn their keep.
What do those of you who free feed think?
Sharl

Sounds like great fun. I wouldn't let them have very many though, and of course keep a close watch. The food will be free, but the ants won't learn....so it won't solve that problem I'm afraid.....

I really don't k ow if it would be good or bad. However, you must do a video of it if you do let them loose on those pesty ants. BTW, after the chams has had their fill. Sprinkle oatmeal or cornmeal down where they come in at on the outside of the house/enclosure. It is suppose to take care of things like that.

I have those ants around and all of my chams have ignored them from what I have seen. Ive never had any of them attack my chams either. I just let them do their thing. They help clean up the cages:D

I join the vote on bad idea.

1. It will no effect on the ants. Ants don't "learn" in this way. They will just keep coming. There are enough ants in the colony infesting your home that your baby chams will make no impact.

2. Ants are like zombies in the movies. Since they move slowly, they seem easy to manage, until you have lots of ants all moving simultaneously. Mixing multiple baby chams with a bunch of ants could be a hard situation to manage.

3. Ants bite, and they have venom. I would hate to have several ants crawling on my baby cham and biting it.

Will disaster occur if you do this? Probably not. But there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do it, and there is an outside chance of injury or at least discomfort for your baby chams.

Arent ants loaded with formic acid? Or is that only stinging ants?
Anyway, feeding them to babies does not feel right to me, so I would also
say bad idea.
Put down some powdered boric acid instead

Ants also swarm very fast when they are threatened of find food. either way, in a matter of minutes it could easily become 26 vs. 10,000. Unless your chams are from Sparta, they wont stand a chance.

Ok so I have a rather persistent infestation of what we call grease ants. (little black ants.) So this is my rant about how I am seriously considering letting the 26 little voracious eating hatchlings free range near where they are coming in at.

Ants also swarm very fast when they are threatened of find food. either way, in a matter of minutes it could easily become 26 vs. 10,000. Unless your chams are from Sparta, they wont stand a chance.

LOL ROFL ETC. I must have an imagination because i havea sense of humor :D
This is very clever and funny :D rep poistn i think fo ryou LOL

I think this is a fun game but it is always very imrportnat to watch chams very closelty. you have to not watch them sometimes but if there is ants yo uhave to watch like a hawk joke LOL. I think let them play but if there is a chamergency then you move fast and maybe get vet ASAP. :)

I think that you should let them do it and have some fun. It would make a great video. But as other members said, be ready to step in if the ants fight back! If they do get one of your little chams then reak revenge!!!!!!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom