At wits end

I don't handle my chameleons as a rule. Today, for some reason, I decided to try. One came out nicely and just walked my fingers a bit. I put him back when it looked like he'd remembered the advice to "poop in her hand!". The other didn't get taken out because when I tried, he hissed at me.

Okay then!

I clean around them. It's not like I'm bleaching the cage or anything, they can just move to another corner as far as I'm concerned.

However, mine do not try to escape. They retreat further into their enclosures when I open them up.

If I had to remove them for any reason, I wouldn't let a bit of hissing or biting bother me (but, mine are tiny, so it's a bit like a chihuahua owner telling a pit bull owner "Oh, I don't care if I get bit").

I don't know if there are just some chameleons who are resistant to being kept or if the urge to escape indicates a problem with the cage.

That, however, seems to be the biggest problem: the animal tries to escape which means handling has to happen.

Does staging escapes whenever the door is open mean there's a problem with the set up? Or are there animals who just want out regardless?

I'm not expert enough to answer that.

Well Sean you can always send him to me ;);) but you won't ship!

I would have two Herbies' though, that might become a little confusing lol

Hey Sean, i was just reading through this post and its unfortunate that little Herbie is acting the way he is. I would possibly be willing to help you with the situation, as you know i live in the Richardson area too and could possibly take herbie on id have to talk to my GF first but you should give me a pm and ill send ya my phone #

pssh, im not trying to argue but i never meant for it to be taken as being trying to force a cham, its not like we are trying to man-handle them.

and my post was only meant for a suggestion, not something he or anyone have todo.

it is just a last resort and even if that doesnt work, then i agree no further action should be done, a cham is a cham

i just feel try all options that really arent that "bad" should be done before quitting

i can tell you love animals and very passionate towards the proper care, logic, and understanding that takes to truly care for an animal.

the OP wanted advice or any last resort suggestions...that wouldnt in anyway be to much for the cham

i gave something that is sort of unorthodox or goes agaisnt common knowledge but the stress from what i said wont really lead to ailments resulting to an ilness

but you are right that every cham is different. but every owner deserves to try to have a the chance to be able to get a cham without to much hassle, even if its only seconds long to remove the cham to clean or go to the vet.

thats just me, i dont think what i said was wrong, maybe in your view it is wrong whether personally or logically but to me its just a last resort to try to calm down a cham when being held.

How can you say that so surely? You do not know if it will or will not get ill. You do not see the chameleon daily. You dont have experience with the animal. (Or if you have been to texas and indeed you have seen it, correct me please.)

I dont necessarily think it's wrong, but I do feel that other newer owners may read it and take it the wrong way. It's better to be cautious than not. Stress can kill. I want to make that very clear. Not every chameleon is the same, and what may work for one, may stress another out to the point of illness.

Hey Sean, sorry you guys are stressed, having an extremely aggressive animal can have it's stresses and is not for everyone. I had one that I ended up selling to a breeder that was better equipt at handling her. You may want to call some local breeders in your area and see if they are interested in him if Damus doesn't take him. Good luck

It's a chameleon what did you expect? Sell it would be my advice, seems you already have your mind made up basically. They're exotic pets not toys. Some times you get lucky and have some nice ones. Thats with anything, though even children.

Back
Top Bottom