At what temp is it too cold/hot outside?

regal81455

Established Member
Digit says good morning all!

20231102_100113.jpg

Quick question - when is it considered too cold or too hot to bring a veiled out for some sun? Just wondering as it's starting to really drop here in IL.

Tx in advance to all whom chime in!

full sun around 45-50. Cham just needs to get to 65-70 and with sun its gonna bump around 20 degrees above ambient. Ive done several thankgiven runs like that.

Infact too hot might be around 75 with full sun around here, im lucky they last 30min in the outdoor cage before they start clawing to want back in.

View attachment 345903

Quick question - when is it considered too cold or too hot to bring a veiled out for some sun? Just wondering as it's starting to really drop here in IL.

I would stick to the temps they should be kept at indoors. 72f-78f ambient, with a basking area in the low to mid 80s.

I don't think any of that would change if you put them outside for some sun. But maybe someone more experienced can chime in just in case there is somehow some difference. I'd imagine you'd be safe in the 72-78 range.

full sun around 45-50. Cham just needs to get to 65-70 and with sun its gonna bump around 20 degrees above ambient. Ive done several thankgiven runs like that.

Infact too hot might be around 75 with full sun around here, im lucky they last 30min in the outdoor cage before they start clawing to want back in.

@nightanole This is great info. Thank you so much!

This would explain why when we brought him out in June and it was 80*, he turned pitch black and went straight to the bottom, behind foliage, of his outdoor enclosure.

This weekend looks to be in the upper 50s, partly cloudy. So would you say it would be reasonable to think he could go out for awhile?

So you have to account for full sun. But I have never taken mine out if temps were below 60. But if you do not have full sun then it is going to be far too cold for them. In summer I do not take out if its hotter than 70 if they will be in full sun. Because as nightanole said your temp in full sun increases a good 10 degrees or more.

View attachment 345903

I have three males that are housed outdoors all year and I live in FL. So they have all been acclimated the past 3-4 years with the natural temp fluctuations. I would stick to what others have recommended in regards to temps for summer and winter. When it’s too hot you need to provide shade and a time limit. I would stick to mid morning or late afternoon and avoid the hottest time of the day.

Back
Top Bottom