At what age should you start handling?

DABRUTE

Jr is 3 months and still flares up when I attempt to get him out. Any suggestions or what did you do to help your young cham get use to you? Or do they all flare up at that age? lol its ben 2 weeks since he has been with me. Thanks

Jr is 3 months and still flares up when I attempt to get him out. Any suggestions or what did you do to help your young cham get use to you? Or do they all flare up at that age? lol its ben 2 weeks since he has been with me. Thanks

Sometimes, at that young age, they are still scared to death of you.
They will flair up no matter how slow, gentel, and carful you are.
They just need to get use to you.
I would just make sure he sees me and put my hand in his cage, maybe with
a feeder in it, but far enough away that he is not too threatened.
May still gape and puff up, but they get over it when they realise they have
nothing to fear from you.

While he is in this stage, I would avoid even touching him.
Waite until he settles down a bit.

Why are you trying to get him out?
Unless you need to transfer or clean, I would leave him be.

Last edited:
Mine used to flinch when i put my hand in his cage and he used to flare up when he saw mother in law, but we now know that was because of the reflection from her glasses. Or maybe it was just because she was the mother in law :)
Baby steps is the way, little and often. The more he knows you and your hand the more confident your cham will be with you. Mine now greets me by leaving his basking spot and scratches on the glass when he sees me. i open the door and he walks onto my hand.
You could try and coax your cham by placing a work in the palm of your hand.
But little and often is my advice.

Sometimes, at that young age, they are still scared to death of you.
They will flair up no matter how slow, gentel, and carful you are.
They just need to get use to you.
I would just make sure he sees me and put my hand in his cage, maybe with
a feeder in it, but far enough away that he is not too threatened.
May still gape and puff up, but they get over it when they realise they have
nothing to fear from you.

While he is in this stage, I would avoid even touching him.
Waite until he settles down a bit.

Why are you trying to get him out?
Unless you need to transfer or clean, I would leave him be.
to hold him or just stare up close lol

Mine used to flinch when i put my hand in his cage and he used to flare up when he saw mother in law, but we now know that was because of the reflection from her glasses. Or maybe it was just because she was the mother in law :)
Baby steps is the way, little and often. The more he knows you and your hand the more confident your cham will be with you. Mine now greets me by leaving his basking spot and scratches on the glass when he sees me. i open the door and he walks onto my hand.
You could try and coax your cham by placing a work in the palm of your hand.
But little and often is my advice.

I'LL GET THERE!! LOL Thanks!

People say that you shouldn't handle your chameleon, but it's almost impossible to not have your hands in the cage from time to time (to feed, clean, adjust foliage, etc) so even if you don't handle, it's nice to get your chameleon used to you.

I got my veiled when he was 2.5 - 3 months old, and with no previous experience, we were able to get him used to us pretty quickly. We did it through hand feeding. It didn't take him long to learn that if we opened his cage, there might be food to be had, and he would get "excited" and would be more focused on looking for crickets in our hands, than the fact that we were invading his space. He learned to associate us to his favourite thing - food. Now he "trusts" us enough to take small pieces of fruit right out of our fingers.

We did have a minor setback though. When he got sick we had to handle him a few times a day to get his eye drops in. We were also rinsing his eyes with saline too, and he HATED it. Now he's kind of afraid to come out of his cage now. But since we stopped the eye drops and rinsing, he seems less worried. Now we only handle him to get his sunbath, or to clean his cage. He likes going outside, so with hand feeding, he's starting to "like" us again.

I also notice that if I wear a bright coloured shirt, it freaks him out. It even distracts him when he's trying to eat. So I try to wear dull colours that don't resemble another pissed off chameleon. :p

Hope that helps :)

They are very strange animals. Mine hates my camera, if i try and take a pic or vid clip he flares right up. I must be the reflection of my camera that freaks him out.

THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK! i need some silk worms...they move slow...i got some superworms and they crawl too fast in my hand and he just looks and turns away lol

They are very strange animals. Mine hates my camera, if i try and take a pic or vid clip he flares right up. I must be the reflection of my camera that freaks him out.

LOL! they all seem to hate camera's.
Maybe put the camera someplace where they can see it all day and maybe
get use to it??

I handle my babies shortly after hatch to move to baby bins, to clean baby bins and so forth. My babies were extremely friendly in fact all my guys are friendly and no one is afraid of the camera......most pose for their pictures. :) I treat my guys with nothing but love and respect and they all free range. I beileve that chameleons can and often do become cage aggressive.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/babies-one-month-old-40584/

Last edited:
I handle my babies shortly after hatch to move to baby bins, to clean baby buns and so forth. My babies were extremely friendly in fact all my guys are friendly and no one is afraid of the camera......most pose for their pictures. :) I treat my guys with nothing but love and respect and they all free range. I beileve that chameleons can and often do become cage aggressive.

OMG! They are so freakin cute! :D

I handle my babies shortly after hatch to move to baby bins, to clean baby buns and so forth. My babies were extremely friendly in fact all my guys are friendly and no one is afraid of the camera......most pose for their pictures. :) I treat my guys with nothing but love and respect and they all free range. I beileve that chameleons can and often do become cage aggressive.
Those babies are the cutest little things I have ever seen.....Dam Cham's and their adorable nature.

In the pictures it looks like you are using a All-In-One bulb on those bins? I thought separate heat and UV bulbs are recommended.

Those babies are the cutest little things I have ever seen.....Dam Cham's and their adorable nature.

In the pictures it looks like you are using a All-In-One bulb on those bins? I thought separate heat and UV bulbs are recommended.

Thank you both!

Here in FL I don't use basking bulbs on babies. I have a double fixture with a UVB in one side and a regular floresent bulb in the other. That keeps the to of the bins between 80 and 81. :)

There is never a specific age, it varies greatly between chameleons and you should avoiding putting your hand in their house. It's a sure fire way to upset them. Let them come to you. It'll take time and consistency.

Jan although I think you meant to say "clean the bins" you typed "clean the buns".... It gave me a great picture of you wiping baby Cham buns with a Q-tip!

Thanks for the humor, intended or not.

Nick

Jan although I think you meant to say "clean the bins" you typed "clean the buns".... It gave me a great picture of you wiping baby Cham buns with a Q-tip!

Thanks for the humor, intended or not.

Nick

*thumbs up* I approve this message.

Back
Top Bottom