At a loss for what is wrong

I think he does not mean "exercise" as we think of it (i.e., abwork, running around LOL) as much as being without the "exercise" of pooping for a while and therefore his muscles became too weak to do it effectively-such as from a very long bout of constipation. So yes if you can help him express his droppings he can hopefully regain this strength. Of course you won't do this without having the vet show you how as you mentioned, and I would also ask him about the possibility of an internal cloacal obstruction such as a swelling or growth.

Since "poop" includes urates and both are toxins, he should feel much better from having this regularly relieved before he gets to the lethargy stage.
Haha! Okay yes exercise in that sense does make more sense. Vet just had mentioned about getting him "out and about" more because he seems to be more sedentary than the average chameleon.

I will be heading to the vet this evening. Will post any other updates that come from the visit.

In birds, we insert a moistened Q tip into cloaca, lift up to make it open and gently press down just above it. That will cause the droppings to mechanically come out.
Except for the Q-tip...

I will ask my vet if this would be possible because as soon as he makes a bowel movement, he is all around much better,
Gee, so am I! :p

... it's a similar manipulation with a bearded dragon, except that with a beardie, it can be accompanied by a warm soak to help relax them. It's a little (emphasis on little) like squeezing a tube of toothpaste from one side only, but much gentler—more of a massage.

Gee, so am I! :p

It's a similar manipulation with a bearded dragon, except that with a beardie, it can be accompanied by a warm soak to help relax them. It's a little (emphasis on little) like squeezing a tube of toothpaste from one side only, but much gentler—more of a massage.
Haha! And interesting! I know I have heard that many beardies will poop not long after being in their bathes, if only chameleons were that easy!

Haha! And interesting! I know I have heard that many beardies will poop not long after being in their bathes, if only chameleons were that easy!
One reason beardie owners like it if they go in the bath is that it helps cover the stench.

The massage is if the warm bath doesn't work. There's a vid on YT of a dragon that hadn't let go in 2 weeks, and the vet performed this little miracle manipulation, and it let go the whole 2 weeks worth all at once. Good thing she had a towel on her lap! All the client could do was apologize for the stench (which beardies are infamous for).

Mine was stopped up after brumating, and despite warm baths every day for a week, I couldn't get him to go. Finally, after scheduling an appt. with his vet, I tried one last time with a warm bath & the massage, and the dam burst. So I had to call & cancel the appt. They were quite understanding—it happens.

Update after the vet! Apparently on the car ride there, Julian was able to make a bowel movement on his own! Proud of him. I believe it is because the one highway we took is currently under construction and quite bumpy. The vet mentioned that needing to grip onto the dowels in his travel box and compensating for the movement caused him to go.
Next step, recommended by vet, is that I am going to create a small ropes course for him outside of his enclosure to encourage new movement and more gripping.
The vet did not show me how to express his droppings, I assume because the goal is for him to not need my assistance? Unsure.

Back
Top Bottom