Aspirated Water

You did the right thing by holding his head down so the water could drain out of his lungs. I have done this several times. I have done this when I’ve had chameleons in respiratory distress and have drained fluid out of their lungs. I once had a young Parson’s chameleon drown and was totally lifeless. I used this technique among other things and I brought the chameleon back to life and still have it years later.

I wouldn’t think you’d need antibiotics if he aspirated on water and you feel you got it out. I also don’t like that many vets automatically feel chameleons need vitamin shots. As someone else said it probably does more harm than good.

I hope he recovers fine.

I just want to say that I can understand your stress and frustration with the situation. I hope that your chameleon is okay. You are a fantastic chameleon owner. In my opinion, you always come across as someone who cares about people and chameleons in the threads you post responses to. Sending positive thoughts you way.
Thank you, that means a lot! He is doing a lot better now. Before his lights went out for the night, he was very alert, unstressed, and kept his head in a level position (instead of pointing it up towards the sky). I think he is doing much better than he was earlier. Thanks again for the positive thoughts.

You did the right thing by holding his head down so the water could drain out of his lungs. I have done this several times. I have done this when I’ve had chameleons in respiratory distress and have drained fluid out of their lungs. I once had a young Parson’s chameleon drown and was totally lifeless. I used this technique among other things and I brought the chameleon back to life and still have it years later.

I wouldn’t think you’d need antibiotics if he aspirated on water and you feel you got it out. I also don’t like that many vets automatically feel chameleons need vitamin shots. As someone else said it probably does more harm than good.

I hope he recovers fine.
This means a lot and was very reassuring. I'm glad to hear that I did something right by holding his head down. Thank you for sharing these experiences with us, we all can learn a lot from people such as yourself (y) It's amazing how many chameleons you have saved with this method, I'm also glad to hear that your resuscitated parsons is still alive and kicking! I hope my chameleon follows the same path.

I really hope he has a full recovery! What you did and how fast you acted definitely saved his life! You’re a great cham dad, and we’ll all miss you on here, but take all the time you need for him and you to recover!
Thank you, he is looking very good this morning! It almost seems like yesterday didn't happen. I'll definitely still peruse the forums every once in a while to see what you all are up to. I'm mainly just sticking to this thread for now. I'll give an update after his first at-home antibiotic shot--though it won't really be much of an update since he is already looking very well.

Thank you for the compliments, the same can be said for yourself and many others on this forum. We recognize that chameleons are more than just throwaway animals that are to be discarded once they become sick. The burden of keeping these truly magnificent animals lies on us, the owners.

Back
Top Bottom