[Art] Panther Sculpture

Hyokenseisou

So lately I've been on a binge of sculpting herp related things; mostly been doing smaller snakes to sell at the local reptile show in spring (see here!), but I wanted to try doing a larger sculpt of a cham. And while I love veileds the most, I love the colours of a panther, so chose to do such. All the other herp sculpts I've done so far have been pure clay, no paint involved, but to really get the colours just how I want with this cham, I decided I'll be painting it.
I planned on making it life-sized, but I guess I made it slightly larger than life-sized, oops! Total sculpture sits at 14" tall.

1601087_435123483288126_385378093_n.jpg

1236237_435190086614799_743019975_n.jpg

1507193_435190106614797_1272926665_n.jpg

1939849_435190116614796_413126304_n.jpg]

1924776_435190136614794_481293016_n.jpg

1506736_435190153281459_762686051_n.jpg

I haven't baked it yet, still humming and hawing about the portions. Panther heads confuse me (doesn't help I don't own a panther, yet next week!) so I tried by best off using photos. I have since fixed the lips a bit and the left arm since the photos. I'll probably bake it later today, I've very eager to paint it!

Your sculpture is looking amazing so far! You will have to show us what the finished product looks like. I'm really interested to see how it turns out. :D

Thanks!

(This was last night) On the left, baked and primed with white. On the right, started painting. Though I wasn't liking the quality of my paint job (near the blues) so I went over it with the white primer again and started over. Looking much better.

1000575_435920709875070_1612768029_n.jpg

This is as far as I got with the paint tonight. Just some more left to do with the yellows/oranges/reds before I can add in the blue to really make it pop! Then any lowlights to really give it some depth. Excited to finish this!!

1962796_435981236535684_31181280_n.jpg

This guy turned out to be stunning! If you ever decide to make some of these to sell let us know. I know I would be very interested!

gorgeous! i like his little upturned nose...looks like he had a nose job!!
Thanks! Yeah the face was a bit of a challenge because I don't actually own a panther (yet!) so I haven't had that personal experience with them to truly get it accurate - that and panther heads just confuse me, they're so funny looking, fat heads :p

Stunning work! I'm sure at a quick first glance this could pass off as real!
Thanks! That means a lot as that's what I'm going for, as realistic as I can get it.

Wow, im extremely impressed with your work! You should start selling these to people i'd buy one for sure!
Thank you! I'll actually have this piece up for sale at a local reptile expo in may, if he doesn't sell then, then I'll be putting him on my etsy store. Wasn't sure if there would be people interested in this sort of thing so he was my trial run. I would like to make another though, but this time the white with a tint of blue and a bunch of red speckling - don't know which locale that would be (I just pay attention to the blue bar ambilobes cause those are my fav variation in colouration)

This guy turned out to be stunning! If you ever decide to make some of these to sell let us know. I know I would be very interested!
Thanks! I will be sure to let you guys know! I want to do some veiled too (my fav). And some smaller pieces as well as more cartoony pieces.

:)
Great job,
I love the colors
Thanks! The colours were fun to do.

Wow, this is amazing to say the least. You should try making different locale sculptures, that would be awesome. Great job! :D

Thank you! I'll actually have this piece up for sale at a local reptile expo in may, if he doesn't sell then, then I'll be putting him on my etsy store. Wasn't sure if there would be people interested in this sort of thing so he was my trial run. I would like to make another though, but this time the white with a tint of blue and a bunch of red speckling - don't know which locale that would be (I just pay attention to the blue bar ambilobes cause those are my fav variation in colouration)

I will definitely be keeping an eye on your etsy store then! ;) I would love to one day possibly have an amazing sculpture like this one. The blue bar ambilobe are my favorite as well.

Not sure I would be able to pass this up at a reptile show! :D

Very good job!

The only word of advise I can offer is to ask a question: Have you ever considered making a mold of your sculptures? Not only could you reproduce them (looks like you sold 3-4 already in this thread :) ) but you could experiment with different materials as well as colors.

Back
Top Bottom