Arkadia, watts and lighting.

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I am about to buy some lights to the new enclosure and was wonering. Arkadia 6 % 54 watts is what is needed but is the difference of the 39 and 24 watts mainly in the lenght of the linear light tube? or is their light intensity and uvb output also different?

So I am about to buy some lights to the new enclosure and was wonering. Arkadia 6 % 54 watts is what is needed but is the difference of the 39 and 24 watts mainly in the lenght of the linear light tube? or is their light intensity and uvb output also different?
Hi. From what I can see, the wattage difference is in the length of the light. 22” = 24w, 34” = 39w, 46” = 54w.

For a leopard you would put it in one spot. For a cham, shouldn't matter tbh. Animals know what they do, but just make sure it is easy to reach for your scaly friend 😄

Thanks, you sure about just being the lenght of it that is the difference?
If you want the light to be fit along with entire lenght of your chams cage then take the 22 or 34" etc. If you are unsure of its lenght, I'd suggest contacting its seller

Thanks, you sure about just being the lenght of it that is the difference?
Well, I’m not all that knowledgeable about lights, but when I look, I don’t see any of the 22” bulbs in any wattage other than 24, 34” in 39w and 46” in 54w. I have 24” fixtures that I use the Arcadia 22” 6% in and they are all 24w. I believe that when the bulb is longer, it will be needing more power, hence higher wattage.

1. Measure lenght of the cage
2. Contact the seller that sells the light and get to know sizes
3. Get the size that fits the cage....

Also, the higher wattage is the more power the light requires. It does nothing to the light. Brightness and UVB & A output is literally the same. How hard can it be?

Hey there the wattage correlates to the length. Just buy the correct strength and length you need. 6% is typically recommended for most set ups and is comparable to a 5.0 bulb.

Well, I’m not all that knowledgeable about lights, but when I look, I don’t see any of the 22” bulbs in any wattage other than 24, 34” in 39w and 46” in 54w. I have 24” fixtures that I use the Arcadia 22” 6% in and they are all 24w. I believe that when the bulb is longer, it will be needing more power, hence higher wattage.
Thanks, yeah 6% 54 watts arkadia is what I have been recommended. But the 24 watts fits the terrarium and it has a 6 % uvb output and it´s cheaper. But it does vary from brand to brand even when they are of the same % how far in the cage the uvb gets, and suchs. Linear utbes and compacts ones and what not. That´s why I try to figure out if an Arkadia 54 watts and an Arkadia 24 watts have any differences.

Hey there the wattage correlates to the length. Just buy the correct strength and length you need. 6% is typically recommended for most set ups and is comparable to a 5.0 bulb.
Aight thanks. Back in the days I just bough 8.0 exoterras but since then things have changed and now I am figuring out which one is good and not.

Forget about wattage, and forget about compacts (CFLs).

For chameleons in enclosures, you want a linear T5 HO running the full width of the enclosure.
Strength is designated by percent (6%) or decimal (5.0) Except in unusual circumstances, those are the only strengths you'll likely need to consider, and they are virtually identical.

Either mfr. (Arcadia, Reptisun) are also virtually identical; both are rated—and warrantied—for 1 yr. and should last at least that long. When they do go, it's not like flipping a switch; UVBs degrade over time (usually months). There are ways of extending this life.

I recommend a UVI meter (Solarmeter 6.5x or DIY) as standard equipment, both to determine if a bulb is serviceable and establishing the correct distance to basking site.

N.B. Brand new UVB bulbs all have an initial burn-in period of 50-100 hrs. during which time they will put out levels stronger than rated. This shouldn't affect your chameleon for that short period, but I'd wait until after the burn-in period to establish final placement. ;)

Last edited:
Aight thanks. Back in the days I just bough 8.0 exoterras but since then things have changed and now I am figuring out which one is good and not.
Yeah. So if your running 24inch fixtures then your looking at the 24 watt. 22 inch bulb. If you have single bulb T5HO fixtures then you want the 6%. If your running the old quads that have one reflector that sits above the bulbs and does not come down in between them then you need the 12% because the single reflector for all bulbs and multi bulbs reduces the UVI output. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom