Are windmill palms safe for chameleons?

I am looking for some tall plants for the tall cages I just finished building and the tallest plants at my local lowes are called windmill palms AKA trachycarpus fortunei. Does anyone have experience with this palm in their enclosure? I can't find any information online regarding whether it's safe or even if it's toxic. It's not on the safe plant list, but I see a lot of palms in the same family of palms on the list. Please let me know! Thank you!

I am looking for some tall plants for the tall cages I just finished building and the tallest plants at my local lowes are called windmill palms AKA trachycarpus fortunei. Does anyone have experience with this palm in their enclosure? I can't find any information online regarding whether it's safe or even if it's toxic. It's not on the safe plant list, but I see a lot of palms in the same family of palms on the list. Please let me know! Thank you!
ASPCA says trachycarpus fortunei are not toxic to dogs, cats, humans, or horses, so I'd say it's a safe bet they're fine for a Cham. However, they are trees that do reach 20-40' tall, so maybe not the best choice for a cage?

ASPCA says trachycarpus fortunei are not toxic to dogs, cats, humans, or horses, so I'd say it's a safe bet they're fine for a Cham. However, they are trees that do reach 20-40' tall, so maybe not the best choice for a cage?
These go up about halfway through the cage so if they eventually get to tall it would probably be a couple years from now.

This guide says anything in the species of palms (Areca Sp.) Are safe.

The trunk is fibrous, leaves aren't sharp.
I'm not sure, but I'd be worried about my chameleon either eating the fibers on the trunk (by accident or on purpose), or getting claws stuck, similar to the problems the moss vines and ropes cause.

Do you have any local nurseries? In my area, Lowes is really only good for pothos, and everything else I get at a nursery.
I am at lowes currently. And they usually have a good stock, however these are the only palms they have which are tall enough and with enough foliage to cover most of the enclosures and provide the height needed for them to bask.

I decided to try them out anyway since it seems most palms are safe. I tried pulling off the fibers by hand and they are actually rather difficult to pull off. I think my veiled chameleon would be more interested in the leaves than anything else. My jacksons chameleon doesn't seem interested in eating plants at all, never seen her eat anything other than bugs. Going to wash them by hand with a spray bottle, some dish soap and water, and a rag when I get home.

I decided to try them out anyway since it seems most palms are safe. I tried pulling off the fibers by hand and they are actually rather difficult to pull off. I think my veiled chameleon would be more interested in the leaves than anything else. Going to wash them by hand with a spray bottle, some dish soap and water, and a rag when I get home.
Alright!

20220718_170344.jpg
20220718_170333.jpg

We've got ourselves an explorer 🤣

20220718_170500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom