Are they safe now? Compacts

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey all

So I remember everyone always said compacts were a NO! But I have heard of some south africans using compacts for veileds. I still didn't start using them but I would like to as it could work out cheaper for me and I also think it will look neater over my setups with compacts.

To get a fixture and linear bulb I could be set back R650...(Almost $100)

I'm wondering if there is any other people using compacts, if do which brand and wattage are you using? I plan on using them on my Panther chameleons. I have hatchlings coming out now and I want to make the right decision about the UVB I use...I don't want to find a week or 2 down the line they are all suffering from eye problems.

A while ago I also heard that the manufacturers fixed the problem that caused the chameleons to have eye problems.

Sorry if there was a thread or discussion about this, I have been absent from the forums quite a lot recently so have not been able to look through all the posts to find some answers.

Any replies and advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Tyrone

The reptisun bulbs were the ones with a problem years ago, which we haven't seen in a while since they fixed the manufacturing error. Sometimes you can find some of the old bulbs that just never left the shelf so therein lies the danger with those. Someone posted the differences on the box to tell you get an old one. But the reptiglo CFL bulbs were never associated with the eye problems or faulty production. Chris Anderson has been using those for a long time and hasn't ever had a problem with them - he's posted that multiple times on the forums. So I would recommend the reptiglo CFL bulbs over the reptisun bulbs for that reason.

Thanks for you're reply. I guess I will be sticking to the Repti Glos then. Now that I think of it I haven't seen any reptisun CFLs, will go take a look for some repti glos then.

Thanks for you're reply. I guess I will be sticking to the Repti Glos then. Now that I think of it I haven't seen any reptisun CFLs, will go take a look for some repti glos then.

i agree with all of the above. i havent had any problems with compacts. i use reptiglow.

So have we decided that compact fluorescent bulbs are ok?
So like a 5.0 is enough? Does the 10.0 penetrate the cage deeper or should I not use it because it says for desert animals.

I would like to know because I am adopting one from someone who has outgrown it.
They said they have a light fixture that has 3 lights and is from exo terra. I am assuming it is a compact top not the long bulbs like I have for my bearded dragon.
The chameleon is 3 so if they have been using it for that long I would assume the lights have not harmed him.

So have we decided that compact fluorescent bulbs are ok?
So like a 5.0 is enough? Does the 10.0 penetrate the cage deeper or should I not use it because it says for desert animals.

i used a 10.0 under these condits- black thick mesh screen a few inches of a large enclosure.

id use a 5.0 unless thats what you have above to be safe.

i used a 10.0 under these condits- black thick mesh screen a few inches of a large enclosure.

id use a 5.0 unless thats what you have above to be safe.

But a compact bulb is safe?
The person I know has been using one since it was a baby and it is now 3. It looks fine and healthy.

Thanks all, Im glad to know that the compacts are working well for everyone. I will definetely switch to them. I have bought expensive long tubes and they have slipped out of place sometimes and broken, hate it when that happens!

i scared of them, but they "fixed the issue"..but as others have said..they work fine..so im getting some for my "fresh hatchers setup":D

Just make sure you get the newer bulbs. Im not scared to use them but Im also not switching all my fixtures over just so I could use cfls. Ive spent far too much to get nice flourescent fixtures for my enclosures to switch now...

Just make sure you get the newer bulbs. Im not scared to use them but Im also not switching all my fixtures over just so I could use cfls. Ive spent far too much to get nice flourescent fixtures for my enclosures to switch now...

same here..ied never switch by now i have too much other stuff, but for this next batch i may "try" one (since i still have plenty of clamp lamps layin around)

If you like em for the babies post your exp. I may be inclined to use those for the babies also. Two lights on baby bins is kind of a pita. I add the second basking light after a few weeks out of the egg. One light would be easier to position over a small baby cage.

I have been using a compact as well, the 5.0 is good, like was stated the 10.0 is only in certain conditions. I read and was told that they should be replaced more often(every six months) than the linears. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been using a compact as well, the 5.0 is good, like was stated the 10.0 is only in certain conditions. I read and was told that they should be replaced more often(every six months) than the linears. Correct me if I'm wrong.

idk. i replace them every 5-6 months. i dont wanna to take any risks :)

If you use a CFL be sure that it is a safe distance away from your cham. I did have an issue where I set the fixture on top of his cage and almost blinded him. It took 2 weeks to recover from that. I still use one but I keep it off the cage about a foot.

If you use a CFL be sure that it is a safe distance away from your cham. I did have an issue where I set the fixture on top of his cage and almost blinded him. It took 2 weeks to recover from that. I still use one but I keep it off the cage about a foot.

having the CFL a footaway from the chameleon will severely and negatively reduce the amount of UVB. This is not a good plan

Back
Top Bottom