Are these Supplements what is needed?

I understand that I need to dust my chameleon's food with a supplement containing vitamin A every day and a supplement containing D3 once a week. I noticed my cham's crest is slightly curved so I am just concerned I am not supplementing correctly since I have the correct lighting to provide UVB.

I use the supplement in the first two pictures for its vitamin A so I use it every day, the description on the back which is the third picture below somewhat mentions vitamin A being included in it but I'm not sure if it's actually the correct supplement to use.

The second supplement I use which is the 3rd and 4th picture down is the supplement I use once a week to provide D3.

I also included a picture of my chameleon's crest in the last picture to see if I am just being paranoid or if I should be concerned about this.

Thank you for all responses.

Attachments

• D3001046-F44F-41C4-8322-09A9F59F3CD5.jpeg
    D3001046-F44F-41C4-8322-09A9F59F3CD5.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 92
  • vitamin a back.jpeg
    vitamin a back.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 88
  • d3 front.jpeg
    d3 front.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 91
  • D3 back.jpeg
    D3 back.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 92
I understand that I need to dust my chameleon's food with a supplement containing vitamin A every day and a supplement containing D3 once a week. I noticed my cham's crest is slightly curved so I am just concerned I am not supplementing correctly since I have the correct lighting to provide UVB.

I use the supplement in the first two pictures for its vitamin A so I use it every day, the description on the back which is the third picture below somewhat mentions vitamin A being included in it but I'm not sure if it's actually the correct supplement to use.

The second supplement I use which is the 3rd and 4th picture down is the supplement I use once a week to provide D3.

I also included a picture of my chameleon's crest in the last picture to see if I am just being paranoid or if I should be concerned about this.

Thank you for all responses.
No pic of casque attached...

But your duplicating supplements... The calcium plus is a bit higher in A and D3 then I would give daily. The calcium plus LoD by repashy is what people normally will use if they are wanting an all in one supplement. But with the repashy that your using and the LOD version. These would be the ONLY supplement you use. You would drop the exo terra multivitamin.

I am guessing your have a Veiled? If it were me I would get a plain calcium without D3. I happen to like Repashys Supercal NoD. This would be used at all feedings then with the repashy calcium plus you have this would be used 2 times a month every other week at one feeding.

Do you have the T5HO lighting?

Based on the research I have done, you should dust their food 3 times a week with calcium without D3. Onve every 2 weeks you should dust their food with a multivitamin. And dust their food with calcium with D3 once a week. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't even gotten my chameleon yet lol!

Based on the research I have done, you should dust their food 3 times a week with calcium without D3. Onve every 2 weeks you should dust their food with a multivitamin. And dust their food with calcium with D3 once a week. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't even gotten my chameleon yet lol!
There are many ways to supplement. It all depends on the specific supplement and what it actually has in it and at what levels... Supplements that contain vitamin A and D3 should not be used frequently if they have high levels because these are fat soluble and store in the body. This can in turn create a situation of over supplementation and toxic levels in the cham.

Most multivitamins have D3 in it. Some do not have preformed vitamin A only beta carotene. This is where it is important to base rotation and schedule on the supplement itself. :)

There are many ways to supplement. It all depends on the specific supplement and what it actually has in it and at what levels... Supplements that contain vitamin A and D3 should not be used frequently if they have high levels because these are fat soluble and store in the body. This can in turn create a situation of over supplementation and toxic levels in the cham.

Most multivitamins have D3 in it. Some do not have preformed vitamin A only beta carotene. This is where it is important to base rotation and schedule on the supplement itself. :)
Thank you for the information! I will definitley take this into consideration when my chameleon arrives in 2 weeks :)

I still don’t understand what their thinking is behind the ratio of vitamin a to vitamin d in the multivitamins.

take for example the repashy calcium plus pictured above. It has 200,000 iu/lb of vitamin A and 20,000 iu/ lb of vitamin D. When it should be the complete opposite. There should be 5-10x more vitamin D then A for it to be balanced. If I have interpreted my research correctly.

I still don’t understand what their thinking is behind the ratio of vitamin a to vitamin d in the multivitamins.

take for example the repashy calcium plus pictured above. It has 200,000 iu/lb of vitamin A and 20,000 iu/ lb of vitamin D. When it should be the complete opposite. There should be 5-10x more vitamin D then A for it to be balanced. If I have interpreted my research correctly.
My understanding is that the ratio of D3 to the A is that the A should be 10 times the D3 .. Granted I find the amounts they use to be pretty extreme as opposed to something like Arcadia revitalise that has 2.3k IU/LB of D3 to 23k IU/LB of Vitamin A.

Then you look at the LoD version that is less then the calcium plus but still much higher then the Arcadia revitalise D3.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the ratio of D3 to the A should be 10 times the A... Granted I find the amounts they use to be pretty extreme as opposed to something like Arcadia revitalise that has 2.3k IU/LB of D3 to 23k IU/LB of Vitamin A.

Then you look at the LoD version that is less then the calcium plus but still much higher then the Arcadia revitalise D3.

ya I may have had it backwards lol.

I just noticed I did not post the crest ah! here it is.

So from my understanding from these responses is I should not be dusting food everyday with these supplements and instead should dust with the D3 once a week and the multivitamin even less?

Would you suggest I get a different supplement to better balance this out?

Also I posted the light I use it is a T8

Attachments

• crest.jpg
    crest.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 87
  • crest 2 .jpg
    crest 2 .jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 80
  • light.jpg
    light.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 82
My understanding is that the ratio of D3 to the A is that the A should be 10 times the D3 .. Granted I find the amounts they use to be pretty extreme as opposed to something like Arcadia revitalise that has 2.3k IU/LB of D3 to 23k IU/LB of Vitamin A.

hmm I will probably be buying a different supplement then...

No pic of casque attached...

But your duplicating supplements... The calcium plus is a bit higher in A and D3 then I would give daily. The calcium plus LoD by repashy is what people normally will use if they are wanting an all in one supplement. But with the repashy that your using and the LOD version. These would be the ONLY supplement you use. You would drop the exo terra multivitamin.

I am guessing your have a Veiled? If it were me I would get a plain calcium without D3. I happen to like Repashys Supercal NoD. This would be used at all feedings then with the repashy calcium plus you have this would be used 2 times a month every other week at one feeding.

Do you have the T5HO lighting?

It sounds like I should get a better balanced supplement... I use the T8 lighting, and I just posted the pictures of the crest at the bottom sorry for the confusion!

It sounds like I should get a better balanced supplement... I use the T8 lighting, and I just posted the pictures of the crest at the bottom sorry for the confusion!
What is your bulb for the T8 lighting? You would need to run a 10.0 if your not already. Then a basking branch should sit about 7 inches below it. This will give baby an approximate 3 UVI level...

Per supplements. I really do not prefer those for everyday feeding... However.... If you were to use either I would use the Repashy Calcium plus... This would be your cal with D3 and multivitamins including vitamin A. Use this 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then all other feedings you want a calcium without D3.

I would not use the exo terra one at all because it does not have Vitamin A. Return that to the store. It is just multivitamin with D3.

I like these two... And use both.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3BKCGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
https://morifeeders.com/products/arcadia-earthpro-a

Both of these are calcium without D3. The Arcadia one has a few water soluble vitamins like bee pollen and B Vitamins. But nothing that can hurt a cham.

Hopefully I am making sense lol Let me know if I am not.

My bulb for the T8 is 5 I thought only a 5 could fit in a T8, and a 10 could only fit in the T5 if I am wrong I will happily get the 10, I'm wondering if I should just buy a T5 lighting if it really makes that much of a difference.

Thank you for the suggested supplements I am waiting for them to arrive! If I use those I can dust his feeding everyday correct?

You are indeed making sense thank you for the help, its just confusing to find info online sometimes with all the conflicting information.

P.S did you see the picture I posted of the crest? It is slightly curved and I am kinda scared about it, I wanna know if its actually a concern or if I am just overreacting...

My bulb for the T8 is 5 I thought only a 5 could fit in a T8, and a 10 could only fit in the T5 if I am wrong I will happily get the 10, I'm wondering if I should just buy a T5 lighting if it really makes that much of a difference.

Per dusting... Either that I gave you links for would be your every feeding supplement. Then 2 times a month you would use the Repashy calcium plus instead. say on the 1st and the 15th.

Thank you for the suggested supplements I am waiting for them to arrive! If I use those I can dust his feeding everyday correct?

You are indeed making sense thank you for the help, its just confusing to find info online sometimes with all the conflicting information.

P.S did you see the picture I posted of the crest? It is slightly curved and I am kinda scared about it, I wanna know if its actually a concern or if I am just overreacting...
I totally understand about the conflicting info. The truth is there are many correct ways you can do stuff. ;)
Casque looks normal. I would not worry yet. Some can have a slight sway to it rather then a perfectly straight one and have no issues of MBD.

Per the lighting... ok so There is fixture type... T8 and T5HO are the two that are most commonly used with chams and considered the two best options.
T8 does not have the brightness of a T5 and does not penetrate the UVB as far into the enclosure. But still works with the right bulb strength and distance.

Bulb strength just indicates how intense the UVB output will be. So you have reptisun bulbs and they come in a 5.0 and a 10.0. Then you have Arcadia bulbs that come in a 6% and a 12%. Reptisun bulbs should be replaced every 6-9 months and Arcadia bulbs should be replaced every 12 months.

With a T8 you would want to use the 10.0 or 12% bulb. But you have to make sure that they are the ones made for a T8 and the size bulb would be 2 inches shorter then your fixture length.

So if it is a T8 or a T5HO then bulb length would always be 2 inches shorter then the fixture. 20 inch fixture gets a 18 inch bulb. 24 inch gets a 22 inch bulb and so on.

All bulb strengths can be used provided that the distance is correct. This is the most common error. Too close and the cham gets over exposed too far away and the cham is underexposed. They need the correct level for D3 production.

So that was a lot of info... Now here is how it applies to you.

For your T8. You would buy the 10.0 or 12% T8 bulb. With this bulb strength distance to basking branch below it would be a total of 5-7inches away. This gives an approximate 3 UVI level.

This changes if you have a single bulb T5 fixture. You would not use anything higher then a 5.0 or 6% because the output is more intense. So if you were to get a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb you would have your distance below 8-9 inches away. This would give an approximate 3 UVI level.

Back
Top Bottom