are these succulents safe?

Beau Ashton

i have golden moss and a rainbow elephant bush. are they safe for a veiled chameleon?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 265
Generally yes. If you have a vieled I'd be wary, they eat anything green. The Portulacaria Afra will be completely fine, in fact it's a favorite bush of the Cape dwarf chameleon in South Africa . The sedum Sarmentosum is a known tortoise fav, but unknown for chams.

Generally yes. If you have a vieled I'd be wary, they eat anything green. The Portulacaria Afra will be completely fine, in fact it's a favorite bush of the Cape dwarf chameleon in South Africa . The sedum Sarmentosum is a known tortoise fav, but unknown for chams.
what could be the danger of him eating the moss?

what could be the danger of him eating the moss?

Not too sure. Most of the time we know plants are okay by watching animals eat them and surviving. In general if its reptile safe the plant is fine. But Chams are sensitive little craps. What's okay for most reptiles can be un-digestable by a cham. The danger could be as little as he regurgitates it and as bad as straight poison. I'm a pretty big plant nerd, but sometimes there's just not enough studies done to give advice one way or the other. I generally recommend sticking with what's known to be safe, but everything we know to be safe is because someone let their chams live with it and eat it. So this really is up too you. Trying new plants should always be done with caution and care, as well as lots of studying.

I'd also like to add that the cage conditions for a veiled probably aren't suitable for succulents long term - too much water! However, if you swap them out every once in awhile to let them recover, they might be ok. (y)

I actually have a baby snake plant, a type of succulent in the enclosure. I got it for free and thought why not just plant it inside. So far, it's not dying yet.

Back
Top Bottom