are these silkworms or superworms?

just wondering what these are? they came with my 2000 crickets that i ordered from mulberry.com. can someone teach me how to take care of them? oh and what are the brown stuff? is it ok if i let them live in the case?

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 187
baby silkworms be very clean(wash hands alot before touching them to clean their mess...the brown stuff is food, the little tiny black balls are the poop, clean it routinely

i usually use mullberry leaves, alot less messy but its winter so only silkworm chow is used....silkworms dont eat anything else but the leaves or chow, temporarily you can use carrots but that it, hope this helps

You have silkworms. No you can't leave them in a cage very long, maybe a day, then they will die. I think the misters kill mine. Cleaning them is a pain but you have to do it.
Either make sure your hands are really clean or wear gloves.
Get a couple paper towels.
Gently tap the container upside down so the worms and lose stuff fall to the paper towels.
Carefully detach the worms from the stuff (crap)attached to some of them
Gently move the worms back into the container they came in. the brown stuff - mine always looks more green- is there food.
Feed them off quickly. When the food is gone the worms will die quickly.
You can buy more food but it is expensive, so unless you plant on more worms, I wouldn't bother

Any more questions just let me know. Free silkworms are a nice bonus.

You have silkworms. No you can't leave them in a cage very long, maybe a day, then they will die. I think the misters kill mine. Cleaning them is a pain but you have to do it.
Either make sure your hands are really clean or wear gloves.
Get a couple paper towels.
Gently tap the container upside down so the worms and lose stuff fall to the paper towels.
Carefully detach the worms from the stuff (crap)attached to some of them
Gently move the worms back into the container they came in. the brown stuff - mine always looks more green- is there food.
Feed them off quickly. When the food is gone the worms will die quickly.
You can buy more food but it is expensive, so unless you plant on more worms, I wouldn't bother

Any more questions just let me know. Free silkworms are a nice bonus.

..... i think ima just let them die lol. they were free anyways. sounds like a pain in the butt to me

Silkworms are excellent feeders for your chameleon. I buy them allot for my guys. I'd recommend that you use them. They are expensive to buy.

Put them in a critter keeper. Lucky you got those free. They're expensive and a good feeder for you cham. They don't roam too much. You can put them in any container as long as they have room to grow.

Dang lucky on the freebies I gotta say if you don't want to hassle with them please send them my way lol

I feed them to my chameleon on a regular basis. He just ate 4 big ones today! I just store mine in a tupperware container. No substrate and no lid. They don't crawl out!

theyre probably the healthiest worm. i know some people who feed them as a staple because their chams wont eat anything else. so limit, no. they dont have a tough shell like mealworms or other types of worms. but don't feed too many, worms are pretty high in fat.

Pennies from Heaven!
We take care of our silkworms with great care, Limey wants to eat them every day. He eats 7 small or 4 mediums or 2 large silkworms.
Keep them warm, at least 75 degrees (under a lightbulb or in a warm window).
Lucky!

Back
Top Bottom