Are these meds and dosages okay?

ERKleRose

Chameleon Enthusiast
Bessie got a splinter in her side last night. I've since triple-checked all branches and found nothing but did file smooth anything that could've been a problem (nothing sharp, just a couple hard nubs on branches). The emergency vet on call is an intern, and my normal vet isn't available until Tuesday. Here's what the intern prescribed (does it sound right?):

antibiotic:
Ceftazidime 100 mg (keep frozen)
0.015 ml (syringes are prefilled)
once every 3 days for a month/until they run out

anti-inflammatory:
Meloxicam 1.5 mg
0.01 ml daily for next 5 to 7 days

Last edited:
Bessie got a splinter in her side last night. I've since triple-checked all branches and found nothing but did file smooth anything that could've been a problem (nothing sharp, just a couple hard nubs on branches). The emergency vet on call is an intern, and my normal vet isn't available until Monday. Here's what the intern prescribed (does it sound right?):

antibiotic:
Ceftazidime 100 mg (keep frozen)
0.015 ml (syringes are prefilled)
once every 3 days for a month/until they run out

anti-inflammatory:
Meloxicam 1.5 mg
0.01 ml daily for next 5 to 7 days
Hope Bessie is doing okay 😕

The ceftazidime is an injection that I thaw to a liquid before use, and the meloxicam is oral

I’m sorry to hear about Bessie. Is the splinter out? How big is the wound? Do you have Silver sulfadiazine to put on the wound? I recommend calling your regular vet tomorrow about that antibiotic. It’s often used for bad infections but might be a bit much for a splinter. The Meloxicam should be ok for a few days but keep her well hydrated. Both of those meds are hard on their kidneys.

I’m sorry to hear about Bessie. Is the splinter out? How big is the wound? Do you have Silver sulfadiazine to put on the wound? I recommend calling your regular vet tomorrow about that antibiotic. It’s often used for bad infections but might be a bit much for a splinter. The Meloxicam should be ok for a few days but keep her well hydrated. Both of those meds are hard on their kidneys.
Yup, the splinters out. It was only in the layer right behind the scales, nothing deep into her. I do not have silver sulfadiazine but will pick some up right away! I am taking her to my regular vet tomorrow for her to check it out and go over what was prescribed. Good to know about the antibiotic! Thankfully, the next injection isn't due until Wednesday, after my normal vet's appointment. Yes, I've upped her misting sessions from 2 minutes to 5, have silkworms and ordered hornworms, and added a fogger to her cage at night

I did, but all require vet prescriptions, even that one. I'm still trying to get through to my vet, hopefully she'll prescribe some!

I second this vets today give Meloxicam for everything. It is for pain and inflammation but if site is not red I am hoping other vet will let you stop using it

May I ask what’s in your chameleon first aid kit? I think that’s slowly a good idea to have one on my own. If you don’t mind of course.

Zymox, Silver sulfadiazine, triple antibiotic ointment, several brands of eye drops such as Flurbiprofen, Gentamicin and Tobramycin and an eye wash solution. An oral antibiotic or two, panacur, ponazuril, Meloxicam, Liquid calcium, Pedialyte, KY Jelly, Syringes (several sizes) with and without needles, catheters, Q-tips, Plastic eye dropper, tweezers non stick gauze, two sided sticky tape ( the stretch kind that want stick to your chameleon), Flucker’s repta boost

Last edited:
Hope Bessie will be ok!
Thank you! She's her usual feisty self today!
I second this vets today give Meloxicam for everything. It is for pain and inflammation but if site is not red I am hoping other vet will let you stop using it
Thanks! I'm definitely hoping changes will be made in her next appointment. Thankfully she'll only have one dose of ceftazidime and two doses of meloxicam before her appointment with her regular vet tomorrow

Zymox, Silver sulfadiazine, triple antibiotic ointment, several brands of eye drops such as Flurbiprofen, Gentamicin and Tobramycin and an eye wash solution. An oral antibiotic or two, panacur, ponazuril, Meloxicam, Liquid calcium, Pedialyte, KY Jelly, Syringes (several sizes) with and without needles, catheters, Q-tips, Plastic eye dropper, tweezers non stick gauze, two sided sticky tape ( the stretch kind that want stick to your chameleon), Flucker’s repta boost
Thank you very very much 🫶🏻 Need to do some (home)work.

Back
Top Bottom