Are the eggs looking good?

Andregay

Here are the eggs that I recovered from Peggy after she passed away from being eggbound. I had to open her up to retrieve the eggs after she passed and I got 65 eggs, now I just want to find out if the eggs are looking good. Any comments are welcome. Herewith are pics of the eggs.
DSCF0622[1].jpg

DSCF0623[1].jpg

DSCF0624[1].jpg

DSCF0628[1].jpg

DSCF0629[1].jpg

when did you get them out of her? mine are bright white right now and they were just laied yesterday so i'm not so sure.

they look like un-calcified eggs, was she recieving calcium supplements? or multi vitamin supplements?

this is what mine look like, (this is just what i moved them into after i got them out of the laying bin. ill try and get a better pic.

sorry i don't think the picture went up with the post. the date on the camera is off too D:

Last edited:
Andregay if you cut the eggs out of her after she was dead you will have to wait and see. They often look different when that happens. They may get a red color too them.

ChameleonRave...I think quite a few of yours look good...but its hard to be sure from the pictures....or maybe my eyesight is not as good as it used to be?

Andregay if you cut the eggs out of her after she was dead you will have to wait and see. They often look different when that happens. They may get a red color too them.

ChameleonRave...I think quite a few of yours look good...but its hard to be sure from the pictures....or maybe my eyesight is not as good as it used to be?

thank you. i will get some more pictures in a while or tomorrow. also some still have sand on them.

I had a female Veiled pass away while trying to lay eggs. She had a blocked intestine with sand. I knew she wasn't going to make it, so I started to keep a check on her every hour (it fortunately happened on a weekend while I was off work). I had decided that when she passed, I was going to try and cut her eggs out. I had never done this before and I had no idea if it was even possible. I waited until she passed and immediately removed 40 eggs from her. I wanted to try and remove them as quick as possible, because I assumed that they would not last long inside of her after death. The eggs looked and continue to look really good. I posted a thread about it and Lancecham told me that he had successfully hatched eggs removed post-mortem. The color of yours are rather yellowish compared to what the ones I removed look like. How long after death was it before you removed them? Keep them set up for incubation, because you never know. I removed mine on 1/2/2011, so they are a little over a month old now. Here are some pics of mine taken minutes ago. I'm still skeptical, but based on the fact that Lancecham has had success, I'll continue to wait with my fingers crossed.

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

I also checked on her the eggs were removed as soon as she passed. The eggs aren't really that yellow, my camera is a bit screwy. When I look at the eggs they are white but when I take photos of them they are yellow. Don't know if it is the lighting in my room, I will take some pics in the sun today and see if they look better and post them tonight, but I am going to wait and see what happens with them, just wanted to get some opinions from the experts on here. I also heard on here that if you remove the eggs as soon as she passes then they can still hatch.
As for the question about the calcium, she was at the vet for a week where she received calcium, and as soon as she got back home I gave her liquid calcium twice a day as the vet suggested. I don't know if it was enough or what but hopefully the eggs are viable. I am going to wait and see what happens, not going to give up, just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

One other thing, I see that there is a lot of condensation on the containers. Be sure not to keep the too wet.

There can be condensation on the sides and lid of the container as long as the vermiculite is not too wet. If you take a fistful of the vermiculite you should not be able to squeeze more than a drop or two of water out of it.

The hatchrite that I use is not too wet, I make sure it isn't it is just condensation on the sides of the container, but thanks for the advise

Back
Top Bottom