Are red legged grasshoppers toxic?

Zubi

Established Member
I believe I found a red legged grasshopper. I live in northern Illinois if that helps. I was wondering if it is toxic

Here are some pics.....sorry about the bad quality pics :eek:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347317642981.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347317642981.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 202
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347317688940.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347317688940.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 220
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347317815333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347317815333.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 188
LOL. You live in the city right? The suburbs are where its at :p I actually have a little prairie behind my house where i could finally catch this thing today. I really hope its not poisonous.

Yup I'm in the concrete jungle. I'm right on the lake so I will try to catch dragonflys next year If I ever see them. We have tons of spiders on the roof deck of my building but I don't think Kirby would like those. I really hope someone can help you determine if you should feed that thing to your Cham, it doesn't look super toxic. lol

im not currently giving it anything since i've read it only eats grass:confused: I'll try to give it some lettuce or something. (God im bad at this WC stuff :eek:)

Really nobody knows?? I think I am truly the thread killer, even for my own threads:(

It depends on if there's pesticides used in your area the grasshopper could have come into contact with..I know it's important to change up a chameleons diet but I've heard so many bad stories from chams eating wild bugs. It's just better to buy feeders that you know are safe. Try breeding your own crickets or dubia roaches if you wana save on cash

Can you please provide us with these stories? The benefits of wild insects are something that can't be rivaled by a strictly captive diet. They provide different nutrients our gutloads fail to provide. To answer your question; yes it is safe. Just make sure the area you've collected from hasn't been sprayed with pesticides recently.

I'm almost positive it isn't sprayed with pesticides, but just to be sure I'm going to keep it overnight to see if it dies from the pesticide

And i also know of many reputable breeders who give their chams wc bugs. I'm not trying to save money, I'm trying to break a hunger strike

Can you please provide us with these stories? The benefits of wild insects are something that can't be rivaled by a strictly captive diet. They provide different nutrients our gutloads fail to provide. To answer your question; yes it is safe. Just make sure the area you've collected from hasn't been sprayed with pesticides recently.

I do agree with you about them getting nutrients from wild caught insects being valuable. And the stories I've heard about it being bad have all been pesticide related. I'm just generally speaking in terms of where I live I know that lots of pesticides are heavily used in my area as well as herbicides. You can smell it in the air when driving by fields near my house. I live in a very country setting. I dont know where the OP lives or what type of farming practices are used around the OP, it was just a general statement in my opinion which I have no problem being told I'm wrong, but in my case where I live I know for a fact it would be unsafe to feed wild caught insects. like I've stated in many of my posts, you have to do what works for you, not everyone is the same nor have the same setup and enviroment. So if it works safely for you then I'm happy for you and slightly jelous ;p

Back
Top Bottom