Are plants in the cage important?

DChalo

I have only fake plants in my screen cages and recently i noticed my veiled took a bite of one of the fake leaves (too strong to bite off) And i was wondering if plants are an essential part of the chameleons habitat. I had the idea to put collard greens in the cage so he would try biting those. Any suggestions?

Plants are pretty much essential because without them your cham will feel out of its element, exposed and vulnerable. As prey animals that would be extremely stressful and could cause health problems because of it. You could try live non-toxic plants so if your cham munches on them it's not a problem. I use all fake plants in my veiled's cage and he likes real greens so I have a little platform where I put fresh greens like collards, mustards, and kale. He knows where they are and expects them so he doesn't try to eat his fake plants anymore. I would try to give your cham real greens to discourage him from trying to eat the fake ones.

Plants are pretty much essential because without them your cham will feel out of its element, exposed and vulnerable. As prey animals that would be extremely stressful and could cause health problems because of it. You could try live non-toxic plants so if your cham munches on them it's not a problem. I use all fake plants in my veiled's cage and he likes real greens so I have a little platform where I put fresh greens like collards, mustards, and kale. He knows where they are and expects them so he doesn't try to eat his fake plants anymore. I would try to give your cham real greens to discourage him from trying to eat the fake ones.

Hey another question, i mist my chameleons cage and plants 3 times a day and he doesnt seem to be drinking from the fake leaves. But every few days i have to slowly spill a bottle of water next to him so he sees the dripping water and drinks it. Any tips?

My chamelon rarely drinks from mistings. I have one of those Llittle Drippers that they sell in the pet stores for about $10. They work great and supply a continuous supply of water for a long period of time. That seems to be the only way my chameleon will drink. I let it drip down on a branch and he usually licks the branch or will sit under the drip and let it bounce off hos his nose and drink like that.

Live plants will help with your humidity, that's really important. As you know, veileds will eat the plants, so make sure the plant you pick is safe.

Hey another question, i mist my chameleons cage and plants 3 times a day and he doesnt seem to be drinking from the fake leaves. But every few days i have to slowly spill a bottle of water next to him so he sees the dripping water and drinks it. Any tips?

You can do a little dripper like carol said, or even just a plastic cup with a hole made by a thumb tack through the bottom placed on the top of his cage over a branch to drink off of so it slowly drips into his cage will work. Then you can fill it and let it drip without you having to "spill water".

I use a mist king that is on a timer that does like 6 or 7 (I forget) mistings a day. I don't use a dripper anymore so they really have no choice but to drink after a misting. It's a amazing what you can make them do if they have no other options LOL

Back
Top Bottom