Are monstera deliciosa safe for Jackson's chameleons?

The compact florescent bulbs only cover a very small area and your chameleon is not going to sit there enough to get good UVB. It also doesn't penetrate into the cage very well. It will do for a few days while you shop for something better. A trip outdoors for 20 minutes a couple times a week will help for now as well. With T5 lighting you can use less D3 supplement safely and it is easier on their liver and it will interfere with Vitamin A levels less.

The standard three supplement regiment of a phosphorus free calcium, a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 has been used successfully for many years. I will quote the version from the resources section of the forum "Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

I personally use a two supplement regiment of phosphorus and D3 free calcium mixed with powdered bee pollen and Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, the one with the Jackson's on the label. I don't know if the bee pollen is of any value but it seems harmless and probably at least provides dietary fiber. I consider it optional. My schedule is used with a T5 linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% light. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust with phoshorus free calcium mixed with bee pollen 2:1 or 3:1. Twice a month I substitute Repashy Calcium plus LoD for a Monday's calcium. This way they get 2-3 doses of calcium per week and two doses of multi vitamin with a little D3 per month. Clearly the days of the week don't matter as long as they are every other and not more than three per week. When I keep my chameleons outdoors I modify the schedule to only one dose per month of the Repashy LoD and I'm only giving it for the multivitamins it provides.

Arcadia makes the third supplement combo. I have never used it and can not give you any real insight. There was a time when it was more difficult to source in the US but it seems that has been resolved.

Thanks guys for your help! I stopped at my local family owned exptic pet store and picked these up today. Im lucky to have an exoric store 7 minutes from my house! Im sure i could have gotrwn stuff cheaper online, but i like supporting local family ownes buisnesses!
20210621_191950.jpg

I know my recent contributions here hardly make me worthy to add my 2 cents worth, but I like giving my jax heavy foliage, coupled with stronger-than-normal uvb. I use 10.0 or 12% on all my jax (when indoors).

Does anyone know if a ZZ plant os ok for my jacksons enclosure? I want to give him as many live plants as i csm, but this one also is giving me mixed search results

Back
Top Bottom