Are Grow Lights Harmful?

kgallego

Hi all,

I've got some live plants in my cages, and they don't seem to be doing very well. I know it's a lighting issues. I was considering getting grow lights, however, I don't know if grow lights would be harmful to my Cham's. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Kelsey

No they aren't harmful but you still need to use a basking light and a UV light with the grow light.
A grow light might keep your plants in better condition than without one.
You can probably save money by buying fluorescent bulbs that are 6500K color temperature instead of designated grow lights.
I know that near me Home depot sells them and probably most home improvement stores do.

You can see I'm a slow typist.

Home Depot or other home improvement stores will definitely have them. No particular brand is needed, they all work pretty well, and they're inexpensive. You can always ask someone to find the 6500k bulbs for you when you're there. :)

Thanks all,

Do these bulbs produce the radiation needed for the plants to photosynthesize? (forgive my spelling...I'm an engineer, lol)

There is no special spectrum radiation; what plants need to photosynthesize is visible light.

To get technical, the red and blue wavelengths each promote a different component of the plant cycle (flowering and vegging; this is why "professional" grow lights come in red and blue colors...they switch their plants out when their grow phase changes).

However, for OUR purposes, 6500K light is ideal because it contains (roughly) a good equal mix of red and blue light and is a good "all purpose" grow light that also does not interfere with our chameleons environment.

Too much light can be an issue, but usually you need a *LOT* of light to be too much and I doubt most any typical user will hit that level (esp if your plants arent doing well now).

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I talked to my sister who is a PhD plant grandmaster and she basically told me the same thing the rest of you all did. Again, thanks!

i use 2x 4 foot 6500k (plant) bulbs from home depot 4$ each when i got them.
1x 4 foot floresent light so light reaches the bottom of the cage.
1x 65 watt house bulb for basking
1x 24 inch uvb.

cage is 4't x 4'w x 2'8'' d. on the inside
winter time he only has a few plants in there to make sure he doesnt get hurt on the bare bracnches of the other plants.
in sping - winter it takes a me a few mins to find him most the time.

6 plants in right now. few months it will be back to 15 plants

Oh my you will be shocked on how more intense your chams look and how your plants don't die..... I love love love mine!!!

You're not joking! Those lights are wonderful. They really brighten the cage up. I'd recomend using them even if you didn't have live plants.

Back
Top Bottom