Are ficus heat sensitive?

Jon S

I have had my set up completed and awaiting its new inhabitant for a few days now and it looks and works great. I just noticed that some of the leaves under the basking light are turning yellow.

I read that too much water can turn the leaves yellow, but will the basking light do this? It is about 86-88 degrees F in the hottest area for basking.. the most it will get to 90.

Jon,

try to lower the basking spot by 5 degrees. say 85F.
not for the tree, but for your cham.

sadly, you are going to lose alot of leaves in the next few days.
but you will get alot of new regrowth to replace them, and they will be adapted to the color of your lights, temps, and humidity.
just give it time and it will be ok in the end.

Harry

The leaves will yellow and drop if they become hot. They adjust to thier environments pretty well, and are hardy, but can only take so much heat.

You were waiting on a new chameleon right? If I remember correctly a panther from Screameleons?

If it is indeed a baby(2-3mo) your going to want to bring the temperatures down some before he gets here. Try and shoot for 82-83 in the basking area. Babies will become too hot and dehydrate.

Good luck mate,

Jay

Thank you Jay and Harry,

Yes sir, I think he'll be about 4 months when he gets here. I'm actually happy to hear that the basking temp should be lowered a little bit because it took a lot of work and adjusting to get it up to where it is now, it seems to like to be set at about 83-85 normally in the basking area. So this is good news and easily accomplished.

Thanks for the info on the tree also!

Back
Top Bottom