ARCHAIUS TIGRIS Pairs For Sale On Fauna Classifieds

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is a heads up thread. There is a for sale add of Fauna Classified that is selling ARCHAIUS TIGRIS pairs. My entire chameleon keeping hobby career, I have never seen this species for sale in the USA before. The are being sold by CBM Reptiles. This is a company I have not done business with before. They are going for $2100.00 a pair or $3750 for two pair. This is a link.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I am not sure how these Archaius tigris pairs were imported or obtained. They look to be captive bred pairs. I think they probably are captive bred from Europe sources.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This species is listed as an IUCN Red List Endangered species. I won't be attempting to buy these pairs. This groups looks to be only two pairs of cb Archaius tigris. These chameleons are here now and not a huge importation of illegal/or endangered species. I am only speculating how these two pairs got importation papers into the USA. I think these pairs should got to a good experienced keeper or a zoological society.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The word from Kent Manchen from Chris Anderson is this import is a legal import from the seller direct from the Seychelles. I require more information.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This species is listed as an IUCN Red List Endangered species. I won't be attempting to buy these pairs. This groups looks to be only two pairs of cb Archaius tigris. These chameleons are here now and not a huge importation of illegal/or endangered species. I am only speculating how these two pairs got importation papers into the USA. I think these pairs should got to a good experienced keeper or a zoological society.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
When I say this I mean I think if these chameleons were imported illegally they were imported in limited amounts and should not be destroyed. They should go to homes were Endangered species belong such as a Zoological society. US Fish and Wildlife has destroyed animals in certain situations with invasive species and other situations. I just would hate to watch an Endangered species be destroyed by the prospects of illegal importation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

@Motherlode Chameleon said..."just would hate to watch an Endangered species be destroyed by the prospects of illegal importation"...it makes me so angry when they destroy something because it was imported illegally and also when they destroy veiled and jacksons, for instance in Hawaii and Florida because they ended up there and aren't supposed to be there. There should be. Abetted solution. I understand that they can't put them back in the wild in the country they came from....but really...there has to be something they can do.

@Motherlode Chameleon said..."just would hate to watch an Endangered species be destroyed by the prospects of illegal importation"...it makes me so angry when they destroy something because it was imported illegally and also when they destroy veiled and jacksons, for instance in Hawaii and Florida because they ended up there and aren't supposed to be there. There should be. Abetted solution. I understand that they can't put them back in the wild in the country they came from....but really...there has to be something they can do.
They should be rescued and go to Zoological Institutions, University/Colleges programs or reptile rescues. I am not for destroying specimens of shipments of illegal specimens whether they are Endangered species or Least Concern species too.

US Fish and Game has done that in the past though and is important why to make certain these orders have legitimate paperwork. This export/shipment could be legal. However from the reading I have done said Archaius tigris only has a wild population census of only ~2000 individuals. I want to hear how they justified a legal export of 2.2 from a wild population that small.

Have they arranged the sale of the export proceeds and make some of them go to establishing new preserves in this Archaius tigris native range or to other conservation agenda's for this species?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom