Arcadia D3+ Reptile Lamp T5 12% - Too much UVB for Panther Chameleon?

dazzer1976

Hello Everyone!

I am about to take delivery of a shiny new 90cm Arcadia Canopy for my Panther Chameleon. The Canopy comes with an Arcadia D3+ Reptile Lamp T5 12% UVB Lamp. As this lamp is for Desert Species, I'm wondering if it may be too strong for my Boy and if I should get the 6% lamp instead?

The reason I went for the 12% rather than the 6% is that I will be positioning the Canopy above a mesh top in the front portion of the Terrarium and I gather that the Exo Terra Mesh Tops filter out 40-50% of the UVB. I will be using a separate basking lamp in one back corner and leaving the other corner as a shaded area.

I've been looking all over the Internet to try to find a definitive answer but have just ended up getting more and more confused!

I have an Exo Terra 90x45x90cm Glass Terrarium which has an assortment of Real and Artificial Plants in it plus various branches and vines. He has a branch that goes across about 20-25cm under the current compact UVB bulb.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on which way I should go with this.

Many thanks in advance - this is a great forum where I've gathered so much useful info.

Hi there,
I am not the most knowledgeable on the forum, so maybe wait for one of the senior members to come;) but personally I would say that that is probably a little too much, how old is your chameleon? I am going to get my very own ambilobe soon :D and I am just going to have one 5.0 zoo med UVB bulb, along with a basking bulb!
Hope this helps

JJ (Jacob)

Is the fixture a double or quad setup? More than likely, you will be fine with a 12% as long as there are some areas that he can get out of the direct light.

Hi JJ. Thanks for your quick response, your opinion is really welcomed. It's a tricky one as I want to ensure my Boy gets the best possible living conditions - he is about 15 months old and is a real character!

Enjoy your Ambilobe when you get him/her. They are beautiful creatures with stunning colours!

Cheers.

Darren.

Re: Post 3 from NHenn. Thanks for your reply - description is as follows:

"The canopy has a black aluminium housing and powers one 39w T5 UVB Lamp with a highly reflective area above the bulb to reflect 100% of the visual light directly into the terrarium".

I use a 12% and have black screen on top of my enclosure. And mine seems to be doing fine with it. I catch him under the leaves of my plants sometimes. So, as long as he can get out of the light you will be fine.

Oh ok so it is a single fixture with only one bulb. If so then yes I would recommend you place some black screen under the bulb if not two layers to knock down the intensity. These bulbs used in single fixtures really pack a punch.

Thank you for the responses.

I received the Canopy and 12% bulb this morning and tested it out. It's a great piece of kit but as NHenn says it does pack quite a punch!

So I've decided to swap the 12% Lamp for a 6% one, just to be on the safe side. Expecting it to be delivered tomorrow so we'll see how we get on.

Cheers.

I use a 6 bulb fixture with 1 12% arcadia and the rest 6500k. 1 6500k and the 12% come on at 7 am then the other 4 6500k come on at 10am. At 2 pm the 4 6500k turn off and at 7pm the other 6500k and uvb turn off. That gives me 4 hours of mid day sun thinking about wiring my light in sets of 2 so 2 will turn on at a time. Id have the uvb and a 6500k on at 7 and at 9 2 more 6500k would turn on and at 11 the last 2 would turn on. Then at 2pm 2 would turn off, 4pm 2 more would turn off then at 7pm the last 6500k and uvb would go out.

The 6% vs. 12% question... what bulb is right for my animal...?

There are many factors that will influence HOW MUCH UV ACTUALLY IS STRIKING THE ANIMAL.:D

And how much UV is getting TO THE ANIMAL is what really matters.

To determine if you can/should be using a 12% bulb,

these are some of the factors to consider.....

[/B]
Is it a big cage?
The 24 x 24 x 48 size cage is considered a big cage.
Note: We do NOT use 12% bulbs on small cages that house Chams. They are too strong for that.

Is there screening... ?
and if "yes" ...
how dense is the mesh?

If there is no screening between the light and the animal, then a 6% is probably fine ...
UNLESS it is a large well planted cage,
or a free range set up whereby the animals average distance is gonna be 15" - 16" inches or more from the HO t5 Bulb(s).

NOTE:
screening usually reduces UV (and visible light) by 23% - 40% depending on how dense the mesh is. There is a broad range there because the density of screening weave can vary so much.

Plants.
Plants = shade in the cage.
Larger cages with lots of plants have plenty of shaded areas.
So it is almost always fine to use a 12% in those large cages.

This one is a hard one to grasp the concept on--

But I will go ahead and try and explain the best I can. :eek:

Here I go--

In a *single bulb fixture* with a good parabolic reflector, most of the light is getting reflected, so the UV from the bulb hitting the animals body is always stronger.
Single bulb fixtures w/ 6% bulbs in them are as strong as quad fixtures with 12% bulbs in them.
read on please...
In many double bulb fixtures, the non UV daylight bulb on one side of the Arcadia UV bulb will actually BLOCK SOME of the UV light because it is a non reflective surface. So a double bulb fixture with the usual one 6.5K + one Arcadia does have a slight drop of UV that makes it down to radiate the animal.
IF you couple this with screen + plants + a large cage, then it makes sense to think about a 12% if being used on older or adult animals.

IN a QUAD 4 bulb fixture, they are usually used on a large/tall cage to begin with.
By someone trying to grow lots of plants.
PLUS the Arcadia bulb is usually "sandwiched" in between two non UV bulbs, thus creating two non UV reflective surfaces on either side of the UV bulb.
So in a quad fixture on a large cage, it makes sense to use the 12% bulb or TWO 6% bulbs in the light bulb array.

It goes without saying that the proof is in the pudding.

Forgetting all the 6% and 12% BS just for a minute
(please!!:rolleyes:)

WHAT the actual solarmeter is reading on the perches under the light and in the basking areas is ultimately what we are shooting for.

In other words --

How much UV is actually striking the animals skin (on average) to synthesize Vit D is the goal.

Now, I know not everyone can afford a Solarmeter and understand that.

So we must fall back on common sense when deciding if someone can be using a 12% Arcadia bulb or should they stick with the 6%

Anyone that knows me...
:)... knows if they ask me
"Should I use a 12% or a 6%.."
The first thing asked is that they describe their set up...
and also to show a picture of it if possible.:D
That way we can see:
1. how big the cage is, (18 x 18 x 36, 24 x 24 x 48 etc,)
2. the screen type,
3. How shaded the cage is / density of plants..
and
4. what fixture they plan to use (ie. single bulb, double bulb or quad)

and that is usually enough to determine what strength bulb to use.

I hope this helps (and does not add to confusion :eek:)
:D

If anyone has any questions,
and would like to communicate with me personally, I welcome that.

We must advance the hobby forward with education and all work to strive to take better care of these marvelous animals.

It is time to see the light in reptile care!
It is LONG OVERDUE!

Please feel free to shoot me an e-mail and include a PICTURE of your set up.
My e-mail address is [email protected].

Cheers!
Todd

Side note FYI:
We are currently in the process of setting up a small studio to film educational videos on lighting reptiles and reptile care. The YouTube channel will be live in a little bit. exciting stuff. ;)
I want to send a huge Thank You out to all the LYR customers--
because without your support and patronage we wouldn't be able to take this to the next level. So thank you all you good customers out there.:)

Todd is great, he helped me with my lights and my plants and Cham are doing awesome. When I get my 4 foot double done ill be ordering another 12% and several 6500k's.

Aww shucks, you made me blush :p
LOL
Seriously,
I appreciate your support.

Thank you!
Todd

Todd is great, he helped me with my lights and my plants and Cham are doing awesome. When I get my 4 foot double done ill be ordering another 12% and several 6500k's.

I couldn't agree more Gavinsons!

Todd, many thanks for your very descriptive response which makes perfect sense, even to a 'newbie' like me :)

I've emailed you a photo of my current set up and would really appreciate the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks again.

Yes.. I got your e-mail. :)
For what you are doing in that set up ...
The Arcadia 6% would be perfect.

A 12% would be a bit too much :eek:,
so I am glad you asked about this.

Chameleon Forums is an awesome place to get info and the forum members here are the best !

Cheers.
Todd

I couldn't agree more Gavinsons!

Todd, many thanks for your very descriptive response which makes perfect sense, even to a 'newbie' like me :)

I've emailed you a photo of my current set up and would really appreciate the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom