April won first place.

Ren

My kids and I took April to town today and placed her in the pet parade... She got first place in the Most Unique Pet category..here is a pic...just wanted to share...

Attachments

• 1st place 009 800x600.jpg
    1st place 009 800x600.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 257
Not stressed at all really there weren't that many people there a lot of dogs, she turned dark once or twice in the sun but as soon as we hit the shade again her colors went back to nice greens and yellows again, everyone there loved her... many questions were asked about them... we had a good time and she once again showed everyone a "lizard" can be a very cool and loved pet as well as a member of the family...

I believe so....has been showing those colors for a week or so now, how long fro showing till she will want to lay eggs?

Well first she needs to stop making 'Public Appearances'. You want a pet to show off to people, get a puppy. It's usually 25-45 days before she lays... have you bred her at all?? Do you have a nesting site for her? How old is she?

Man is EVERYONE in here so negative? This was not a hey my cham is sick, she wont poop, she does this she does that.... why do we keep such interesting animals and not have them out of a cage or show them to some people for a hour or so? Its not always as bad as everyone thinks, she did not get bitten by a dog or run over by a car she had a good day out of the cage and won a award... I was very happy to find this place just a week ago but I can really see how people are turned off to post or share anything with people here for the simple fact of being ridiculed and looked down on because of how they take care of their animals... I know the answer is gonna be we all love our pets and want the best for them all... I think I give my pet a very good life and take care of her very well.... can we please let up on some of the negativity.... now if someone posts pictures of their cham riding a dog or hang gliding on a kite then feel free to step up and shoot them down.... by all means...

Hey Ren,
She looks gravid so you should prepare for that.
I am a breeder and do shows so I know my guys are going to be a little stressed around alot of people so its not ideal conditions 100% of the time.
I don't think a couple hours of being out in the public is going to cause her any harm. As long as she is being supervised.
Congrats on your trophy!

Thanks, and thats the way I see it as well... Also I sent you a PM with a question on cham foods..

Negativity was not my intent. These animals are very easily stressed, and an overly stressed gravid female will reach her demise. Care needs to be taken with these delicate animals.

Hey Ren, congrats on the trophy!! I must say you are correct about this forum!! I don't post much and it's cause of that reason!! There are some very knowledgable people on this forum but for the most part it's filled with a bunch of "no it alls"!!

Hey Ren, congrats on the trophy!! I must say you are correct about this forum!! I don't post much and it's cause of that reason!! There are some very knowledgable people on this forum but for the most part it's filled with a bunch of "no it alls"!!
Oh hardly!!:rolleyes:
If anything people are afraid to express concern for chameleons on here because the thread starters can't take criticism.

Okay.
I kept myself from participating on this thread because I have different ideas about how things should be, but couldn't figure out how to communicate that without sounding like a "know it all" or "negative" but truly....let's remember what this forum is for.
First of all, I get wanting to share an experience like Ren had with like minded people and I get wanting to share having an exotic pet, and I get feeling like you did some public educating by entering April in this event.
I am not throwing stones when I say this....because I am talking about me....I would not have chosen to participate in this with a chameleon.
Now onto my real beef...
No one on this forum or any other knows it all about chameleons. We are all students of this particular family of reptiles husbandry, and we are all learning all the time.
There are things we have learned and there are practices that have proven to be good and we share this information with others, but I believe that the intent of this sharing is almost always in the interest of the animals and not an attempt to "bring down" a keeper.
I personally don't believe these animals should be kept as pets in most situations and I certainly don't think they should be a commonly offered choice in the trade (particularly in pet stores). I say this being a keeper of a chameleon so I realize the duplicity, but I have had so much heartache seeing these animals kept incorrectly in shops and read about so many mistakes people have made.....
Do not abandon this forum because you think someone on it is trying to be a know it all, or because someone offended you by questioning your husbandry.
This is the greatest resource you have, to have the best chance at providing an extremely specific animal with all that it needs.

-Brad

When I first saw this post and read what Ren wrote, I was instantly smiling and holding back a chuckle. I thought it was a cute story that a chameleon lover chose to share with fellow chameleon lovers. But, a part of me knew what predictable responses might follow. Seriously, I will admit that there are a lot of posts/repeat posts on this forum where you find completely clueless first-time cham owners asking blatantly obvious questions that even I, in the short but extensive time I have spent researching chams, would feel completely confident answering. These people, YES, by all means, shower them with all of your knowledge and educate them and help them to understand what it takes to keep such delicate creatures. But then there are the people on these forums who have their stuff together, they know what they are doing, and it works for them. These people are going to feel offended when other people start throwing obvious statements at them about how they should be caring for their pets. Please don't get me wrong, I am extremely greatful for the people on this forums for the information that they have shared with me. But sometimes, I think people need to step back and realize that this hobby is supposed to be fun, and if you feel the need to voice concern about the way that someone is raising their chameleon, try to do so in a positive way. When you reply to someone using sarcasm and belittlement, they are going to feel offended...and there's just no way around that!

When I first saw this post and read what Ren wrote, I was instantly smiling and holding back a chuckle. I thought it was a cute story that a chameleon lover chose to share with fellow chameleon lovers. But, a part of me knew what predictable responses might follow. Seriously, I will admit that there are a lot of posts/repeat posts on this forum where you find completely clueless first-time cham owners asking blatantly obvious questions that even I, in the short but extensive time I have spent researching chams, would feel completely confident answering. These people, YES, by all means, shower them with all of your knowledge and educate them and help them to understand what it takes to keep such delicate creatures. But then there are the people on these forums who have their stuff together, they know what they are doing, and it works for them. These people are going to feel offended when other people start throwing obvious statements at them about how they should be caring for their pets. Please don't get me wrong, I am extremely greatful for the people on this forums for the information that they have shared with me. But sometimes, I think people need to step back and realize that this hobby is supposed to be fun, and if you feel the need to voice concern about the way that someone is raising their chameleon, try to do so in a positive way. When you reply to someone using sarcasm and belittlement, they are going to feel offended...and there's just no way around that!

Well said; and agreed!

Alright when I started this thread it was not meant in anyway to stir the pot so to speak and get some huge neo-political movement started in here...I was simply trying to share a little story that I thought was a fun day that I thought the rest of you would think was cute and perhaps heart warming, these are the pets we choose to keep and I really enjoy it.. I was not really offended by any of the comments, I know that opinions are like a$$holes everyone has them and they all stink... I CAN take criticism but comments like "Well first she needs to stop making 'Public Appearances'. You want a pet to show off to people, get a puppy" quoting Puritania, should have been left to him/herself IMO.... Not every post has to have something like this in it, why do some people feel the need to have to say something like this.. you can say the same thing in other words and it come out a totally different way, everything is not black and white, there is more than one way to take care of our animals,obviously...I ran into the same thing when I started keeping fish about 5 years ago... that fish wont live with that fish and so on....and have proved those people wrong, which was not the intention....I wish I could have deleted this post all together by now, its kinda funny how it keeps going.....I am not going anywhere, this is the best place I have found full of information, things to look out for, and such...lets just try and be a bit more positive with this type of thing so future members will not be so intimidated by reading and posting in here... please...Cant we all just get along:D

Back
Top Bottom