Appropriate Adult Chameleon Enclosures, where to find?

naotos_cap

Hello everyone, first post.
So, to get things straight, my veiled is about a year old now, and it's time to move him out of his cage (16 x 16 x 30 inch I believe) before it gets too cramped for him. But, the problem is, what enclosure is actually appropriate for him? I read online that 3 x 3 x 4 feet are the appropriate size for adult chameleons. I know that it's the basis, but where can I find a cage that goes by that size, or is at least appropriate for my chameleon, so I don't get a cage that is still too small? The biggest cage I can find online (designed for chameleons and not too pricey) is a 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage. Will that be big enough for him? I can not seem to find any bigger cages, so I am at a loss here. What I am looking for, really, is validation on whether the 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage will be appropriate for him, or I'll have to do more digging and find a bigger cage. Links to appropriate cages will be much appreciated! Also, I apologize if this is a post too similar to another one, I worry that I'll buy a cage that is not appropriate for him. (Also, will glass aquariums work?) Thank you to whoever reads this!

Hello everyone, first post.
So, to get things straight, my veiled is about a year old now, and it's time to move him out of his cage (16 x 16 x 30 inch I believe) before it gets too cramped for him. But, the problem is, what enclosure is actually appropriate for him? I read online that 3 x 3 x 4 feet are the appropriate size for adult chameleons. I know that it's the basis, but where can I find a cage that goes by that size, or is at least appropriate for my chameleon, so I don't get a cage that is still too small? The biggest cage I can find online (designed for chameleons and not too pricey) is a 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage. Will that be big enough for him? I can not seem to find any bigger cages, so I am at a loss here. What I am looking for, really, is validation on whether the 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage will be appropriate for him, or I'll have to do more digging and find a bigger cage. Links to appropriate cages will be much appreciated! Also, I apologize if this is a post too similar to another one, I worry that I'll buy a cage that is not appropriate for him. (Also, will glass aquariums work?) Thank you to whoever reads this!
Where are you located?

Bigger is always better. But the standard that you will find is 2x2x4. By 6 months they should be moved into a larger enclosure.
Dragonstrand.com is a great place to get wonderful enclosures from and they offer an atrium size. But it all depends on what your wanting to spend.
No glass aquariums they are hot boxes without air circulation.

I read online that 3 x 3 x 4 feet are the appropriate size for adult chameleons.
May I ask where you read that?

I agree, 24"x24"x48" high is appropriate for adult panther, veiled, Jackson's, and many other species chameleons. Bigger is definitely better, but unless you're building a walk-in, anything larger than 24" proves difficult to reach into and work inside (24" is the practical comfortable reach limit for most folks).

There are many mfrs. and sources for 24x24x48 enclosures, and some are now making what I call "double-wide" or "double-size (48"W x 24"D x 48"H).

What I am looking for, really, is validation on whether the 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage will be appropriate for him

Consider it validated. ;)

There are many mfrs. of appropriate sized cages; it often comes down to what you can best afford.
You also have the option of building one, the main advantage being able to get exactly what you want.

Some people also build enclosures from re-purposed furniture from garage sales, Salvation Army, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores, etc.
repurposed chameleon enclosure

If you'd like to consider the DIY route, I suggest spending some time perusing the "Official Enclosure Picture Threads" near the top of the Enclosures and Supplies forum, google DIY chameleon enclosures (images), and check out YouTube, where there are many videos on how to build your own at any budget point.

Even if you decide to go the commercial enclosure route, I suggest perusing the above for ideas on how you'd like to decorate or outfit your enclosure.

IMO, glass aquariums are not a good choice; they have some significant drawbacks—mainly not enough ventilation, and they can be more difficult to keep clean.

Here are some links to companies/mfrs. They are not endorsements. I'm sending you to the main pages because I think it would behoove you more to explore options on your own.

https://www.zenhabitats.com/
https://www.diycages.com/
https://www.customcages.com/
https://dragonstrand.com/
https://zoomed.com/
http://www.exo-terra.com/

There are more, but I'll leave you to explore that on google. ;)

The 2x2x4 being the standard is because that's what's available and/or because many people let their chams out on a free range at times. TBH I think if we truly ask what's best for the animal, it's on the small side and I've used 2x2x4's so I'm not criticizing anyone. Just that my Panthers always wanted out of them.

The biggest cage I can find online (designed for chameleons and not too pricey) is a 24 x 24 x 48 inch cage.

Just realized, that 24 x 24 x 48 inch is 2 x 2 x 4 foot cage ? , but nevertheless, one foot from the recommendation, from a quick Google search. Some sources saying
4 x 3 x 4 foot is the minimum size as well. But thank all of you for the replies, I will definitely consider the links, and I now definitely feel more at ease knowing that 24 x 24 x 48 inch cages (or 2 x 2 x 4 foot) are appropriate cage sizes.

I used to use the 2x2x4' screen cage for all of my chameleons, but since have switched to the Dragonstrand Large Atrium cages and couldn't be happier. I find they use all of the horizontal space available to them, moreso than the vertical. Here's a photo showing the 2 side by side - I was setting them up, which is why they are bare, but I think it serves as a good visual.
IMG_0959.JPG

I used to use the 2x2x4' screen cage for all of my chameleons, but since have switched to the Dragonstrand Large Atrium cages and couldn't be happier. I find they use all of the horizontal space available to them, moreso than the vertical. Here's a photo showing the 2 side by side - I was setting them up, which is why they are bare, but I think it serves as a good visual.View attachment 282266
I do like the atrium I'm a bit torn at present I bought a boy who is a girl lol who i decided to keep shes in 2x2x4' and was thinking about getting a male two 2x2x4' or just being content on a larger enclosure for my girl

I do like the atrium I'm a bit torn at present I bought a boy who is a girl lol who i decided to keep shes in 2x2x4' and was thinking about getting a male two 2x2x4' or just being content on a larger enclosure for my girl
Do both

I have 3 of the Large Atriums in my reptile room. I have a male panther, a male veiled, and a female veiled in them - the female is a pissy little thing and uses the entire enclosure, mainly to hide from me. I personally feel that all 3 use most of their available space and appreciate it (as much as a chameleon appreciates anything we do for them). The 2 males each get free range time on my screened lanai (separately), and the panther (he's 1 1/2) will roam all 20' of the space, while the veiled is content to stay in his tree (he's nearly 3).

Trust me, only marry someone who understands your love for reptiles even if they don't share it. My husband is tolerant, and was even more so when we got him some dart frogs. Now we're thinking about a crested gecko setup ;)

Yeah she's good if I'm happy she's happy. She's not not a reptile person but has never really taken to the cham not like she did with the bd years ago. Since I moved my cham from 36x18x36 exoterra to 2x2x4 repti breeze. The exo is free so any recommendations what I could put in it. Thanks

Yeah she's good if I'm happy she's happy. She's not not a reptile person but has never really taken to the cham not like she did with the bd years ago. Since I moved my cham from 36x18x36 exoterra to 2x2x4 repti breeze. The exo is free so any recommendations what I could put in it. Thanks
Yes! Get another Cham!

Back
Top Bottom