Apples for gut loading?

Kronos

Established Member
I have a chart on gut loading but on the chart it shows only red apples. Can you use green apples also or no?

Attachments

• 4BDBDD64-902E-4606-8ECA-C393BE3A72DF.png
    4BDBDD64-902E-4606-8ECA-C393BE3A72DF.png
    603.5 KB · Views: 193
Personally, I'd opt for something other than apples—lots of sugar, but little else.
There are a lot more nutritious options on that chart. ;)

I used apples yesterday but it was because a very hot day and i dont use bug gel or other solid water hydration. The banded crickets preferred carrots & locusts preferred the basil over the apple.
Fruit flies are only getting apple should i change this to a veg aswell?
Personally, I'd opt for something other than apples—lots of sugar, but little else.

Haven't tried, but I'm sure theyd go for some veggies. Honestly, not sure
Cant say im a fan of fruit flies they get everywhere she seems to enjoy hunting them so good enrichment. you wouldn't have thought she would bother 4 after medium locust. Just waiting for the calci-worms to turn into soldier flies they been eating mostly apple too ?

Cant say im a fan of fruit flies they get everywhere she seems to enjoy hunting them so good enrichment. you wouldn't have thought she would bother 4 after medium locust. Just waiting for the calci-worms to turn into soldier flies they been eating mostly apple too ?

Yeah it's funny how theyll go after small bugs. My Parsons would eat some tiny bromeliad flies when they landed around him.

Not sure about flightless fruit flies. I gave up on those pretty quickly, especially once I noticed them being jail breakers, lol. They escaped death from above(Kronos). Hehe. Silkworms and Dubia roaches are the most nutritious feeder insect for a Cham, as far as I know. But I could be wrong. Crickets are what mine seems to like best at the moment, I’m sure it’s just because they are more active/eye catching than other bugs that don’t move around as much. We have had some success with turning Dubia roaches over on their backs, he likes that because they move more. He’s eaten silkworms also but had to separate them and get them dangling in front of him to entice him. All except for one that thought he would get in Kronos’s face and challenge him. Well, wasn’t much of a challenge, he was eaten super fast.

Attachments

• 5DB62F91-A5A3-4315-9453-2936203383AC.jpeg
    5DB62F91-A5A3-4315-9453-2936203383AC.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 77
Here’s a gut loading chart I got from another amazing person on this forum. AmandaS. I know it has fruits on there but veggies are best.
9B58B1EA-CF29-472B-9D33-D44C814C8D96.png

TBH, when I said this, I was thinking primarily of dubias, as they're my main feeder.
They're a (recognized) nutritious choice (can't see supplementing them with sugar) and have plenty of moisture content.

"Vegetables high in sugar include sweet potatoes, beets, onions, green peas, sweet corn, peas, canned pumpkin, winter squash, rutabagas, carrots, and tomatoes" so these might need using in moderation as well looks like the greens are a better gutload and should be the main source for feeders

"Vegetables high in sugar include sweet potatoes, beets, onions, green peas, sweet corn, peas, canned pumpkin, winter squash, rutabagas, carrots, and tomatoes" so these might need using in moderation as well looks like the greens are a better gutload and should be the main source for feeders

Yup. Fruits will usually have a lot more than even the sugariest vegetables. Most things insects eat are either sugary, or full of protein(which basically gets converted to sugar when in excess anyway). I wouldn't worry too much other than try to get them a staple gutload of variety greens(rotate them) with other random fruita/veggies on the side. I'm not a nutritionist, but my understanding is that sugar mostly has negative effects when refined. How this would translate to gutload I'm not entirely sure because the insects are breaking it down partially, but also may be using some of the sugar content before it's passed on.

I was just reading insects break the sugers down to the amino acids with the help of symbiotic bacteria before passing on up food chain of course there would be a gut load of suger though ?

Back
Top Bottom