Appetite concerns

MauiThePanther

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosy Be Panther Chameleon, Male, 5 months, approximately 3 Weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only twice the last 2 days one time for 15-30 mins outside in the sun.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Only crickets the first 2 weeks, recently bought some wax worms, mealworms, super worms, & hornworms. He usually eats 3-5 full sized crickets a day around 11AM-1 PM I hit load the crickets with zoo med cricket gut load with cuttings of sweet potato, potato, carrots, mustard greens. And I use rapashy calcium plus as a powder supplement. Currently gut loading the new feeders for him now. I have three 3 super worms and a couple of mealworms in a dish up where he sits.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rapashy calcium plus, (rep cal, calcium + D3 2 Monday & Friday sub for rapashy) herptivite from repcal on Saturdays. Rapashy is my staple duster.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a repti-rain set for every 3 hours for 60 seconds. I see him drink every other day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown kinda moist with a white ball on the end for his urine sack and he goes once a day. Never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No information to give at this time.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze XL 24”x24”x48”
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun T5 HO 24 watt 10.0 UVB and a 150watt ceramic heat infrared heat emitter.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor 68 basking 88
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Ranges between 58% - 80% I use a mister and dripper with live goldon Pothos plant to keep humidity up. zoo med humidity and temp gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Goldon Pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my dining room, yes it has a sealing fan and a air vent a couple feet from cage. Traffic isn’t heavy but it could be lighter. Cage top height is 6’ I have a 2nd table underneath it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? St Augustine, Florida.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. he’s not taking interest in any feeders besides crickets. I’m worried he won’t get the nutrients and diet he needs to maintain And live a healthy long life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 124
  • D7A09FE2-DB5D-4CDF-BF45-0E901CAF3F77.jpeg
    D7A09FE2-DB5D-4CDF-BF45-0E901CAF3F77.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 86
Hi there and welcome. There are a few things here that can effect appetite. One you should be feeding size appropriate feeders. At 5 months old he should be able to take down 12-15 small to medium crickets a day. If you are feeding them too large he will back off them.

Your supplements are wrong. If you are using repashy calcium plus then that should be your ONLY supplement because it has everything in it. By adding additional calcium with D3 two times a week you are over dosing him on D3 this too will effect appetite. You need to drop the herbivite and the calcium with D3 totally and only use the Repashy calcium plus at each feeding lightly dusted on feeders. This should not be like powdered donuts.

Additionally is your T5 a single bulb fixture or multi? If single it should be a 5.0 UVB bulb and if it is a quad fixture with 4 bulbs and 1 reflector panel then you would use the 10.0.

Here are additional resources for feeders and Gutloading.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

I have a single tube fixture is it wise to run a multi or should I get an additional single tube fixture? Also should I get an additional bulb for UVA?

I have a single tube fixture is it wise to run a multi or should I get an additional single tube fixture? Also should I get an additional bulb for UVA?
No you can run a single T5 fixture but you have to use a 5.0 UVB bulb or you will over expose the Cham with a 10.0 bulb. Now if you are going to have live plants and the pothos will benefit as well this is when people typically will upgrade to a quad fixture but with that said you do not have to do that. Some people use jungle dawn lights for their plants.
I personally do not like the ceramic heat emitter and you want to still be very careful with your temps and making sure they do not go any higher. 150 watt ceramic puts out a fair amount of heat.

What heat bulbs would you recommend for a home that stays between 69-73? I’ve been questioning the heat emitter idea myself. The exotic pet store owner recommended me that bulb so I went with it.. shame on me I know.

What heat bulbs would you recommend for a home that stays between 69-73? I’ve been questioning the heat emitter idea myself. The exotic pet store owner recommended me that bulb so I went with it.. shame on me I know.
How are you measuring the temps? I would start with a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. Then measure the temps below it where your cham will rise off the branch. Typically if at the branch it is 79 then its going to be a few degrees hotter as you move closer. You want to make sure your basking area is right about 80-82 for his age. Just make sure he is not sitting right on the light or he is at risk for a thermal burn. I have my lamp raised a few inches off the top with a 6 inch distance between the top of the cage and where my boy is below.

Unless you have a dimming thermostat that regulates the out put of the heat then it is a guessing game at first with wattages of bulbs which is why I suggest starting with the 60 watt.

Also I am not saying that the heat emitter is bad. I do not personally like them but there are others that use them. But my concern is that it is 150 watts and that is very high for the temps not to be much too hot below it.

Back
Top Bottom