Apartments and Reptiles

kokom05lb

So we're moving in November and unfortunately have to rehome our german shepherd pup and possible out cat https://www.chameleonforums.com/really-disappointing-92215/ posted this earlier today. Looks like we will have to move into an apartment. So my question is how many of you actually live in an apartment and have your reptiles with now issues wih landlord? Thats our biggest concern atm. We've thought about sneaking in our cat but shes a window cat so idk if that would work. But anyone have any experience with this?

Most apartments are landlord free, and at most you'll have to sneak them past the supeBut the real deal is what your lease says....

Harry

I live in a townhouse complex with my family currently. We snuck in the zoo, and it hasn't been a problem yet but.. who knows. My parents let me have one of the storage rooms for them, so it's fulled and the complex manager came through not long ago to make sure all the fire alarms worked, I was pretty terrified he'd see the room and tell me they had to go.

Ask if they are ok with small caged animals I've never lived somewhere where the landlord wasn't you just don't tell them what it is if they are ok with a hamster or a goldfish they should be fine with your reptiles as long as you don't have a Parsons or any of the very large reptiles

I live in an apt with no troubles just outside of DC. I built up a good reputation with the management and explained that since most pet deposits are to cover dogs and cats destroying carpets and walls with urine or feces, that keeping a caged animal actually is safer and cleaner with no chance of building damage. Also I explained the housing of Mojo and Cleo, how they were not dangerous and had no chance of escape since their enclosures have locks. I didn't mention that I feed live insects however due to most apartments worried about escapees starting an infestation. I normally pick up about 120 assorted feeders from a local reptile shop and bring them home in a McDonalds bag with my own dinner which lasts them about a week. This way no questions from neighbors. I keep them in a 10 gallon glass tank in the closet.

They only had one request. That I am available whenever maintenance has to do inspections or any work which is rare. Once every 6 months or so which is no inconvenience as long as I can keep my buddies.

I lived in an apartment complex with 20 rats, a chameleon, bearded dragon, and a turtle. We tried to tell them about our pets but they said it doesn't matter unless its a free range pet.

The only time we ever had issues was when they did their annual pest inspection looking for bed bugs and roaches (our building had neither!) and we had to remove all the animals for 4 hours while they sprayed chemicals anyway. It was winter and freezing, so we put everyone in the car with the heat blasting. We also had to deal with occasional maintenance inspections and we didn't want them to see how many rats we had so they spent more time in the car.

I have always had a cat and it's never been a problem with landlords, even if it was a 'no pet' place. Of course I try to find places where she would be welcome, but where I live, that is nearly impossible.

I have rented all the years that I've had reptiles and they have never been an issue. I have both disclossed and kept them a secret and in either case, when the maintenance people come overthe or they management people come up, they are usually thrilled to get a tour. I have yet to have someone that dissagrees with me having them. I also have two dogs, so I've been able to find apartments that are pet friendly. I'd live under a bridge before I gave up my dogs to live somewhere!

OK awesome.... yea its not like I'm bringing in awhole zoo. We're trying to keep our german shepherd pup but sinces she going to be a big dog we dont know. Anyways we have 2 dogs, cat, a chameleon, a beardie, and a corn snake. As I see it, if we can take care of them whats the point of not having them. I love them so much and cant bare toe re-home them. But my inlaws are completely against us having any pets :rolleyes:

Do you know anyone that could keep some of them temporarily? I think the reptiles and the cat will be ok, but the dogs might be a problem. If either of you had family or friends that could keep them until you are able to get them back that would be a big help. When our house burned down and my husband and I had to stay at homeless shelters and stuff for a while, our neighbors(who I had never really met before) kept my cat for me until we got a permanent home again. I know how hard it is to part with pets. It's frustrating, too, when people don't seem to understand how much we love our animals. My mom has told me countless times that I should get rid of my cat bc it would be easier finding a place to live, but I could never part with her. I hop eyou can work something out.

In Ontario, even if the lease says no pets, tenants can not be evicted for having a pet unless said pet is dangerous, someone is allergic or is destroying the properly. Definitely check your Provincial or State laws regarding pets in apartments. Condos are another story and their restrictions (if they have any) will trump your ownership of a pet.

Also be aware of local bylaws concerning exotic animals. Many municipalities ban the ownership of certain reptiles and if you caught can result in fines, confiscation and eviction. Chameleons, due to their small size, a rarely on a restricted list but there are many of us that keep other things besides chameleons like snakes and tarantulas.

Know the rules, know your rights and be a responsible owner.

I work as a maintenance super,, for many complexes and dogs are a no go in most places, but you can find some ,but limit on sizes, cats are ok but you may want to tell them , some places will check and then charge back timeon your lease, main thing we look for is how everything is wired, so as not to cause a fire ,make sure any liquid can drip into a container, and wont drip down wires, and have surge protectors, so good luck,

How would they even know you had a chameleon in your apartment anyway?? It's not like they are going to do daily inspections. They might never do inspections at all.. And if they do decide to do one they give you notice and you can just cover your cage with a towel..

Does your chameleon bark when left home alone?

Well I have my beardie, my chameleon, and our corn snake. Snake will be real easy to hide lol. But an apartment complex thats close to where we need to move only worries about cats and dogs. I asked them about repiles and they said they dont care. So now its just fingers crossed hoping they have a opening when we move in November. I'm not looking forward tostaying with inlaws due to the fact that they want me to leave my reptiles outside and they fact that they dont want me to bring my cat.

Im also currently renting I didn't tell my landlord but one day she came over and saw them all and thought they were the coolest things ever

Here, in San Diego, there is a thing called "tacit approval" and it comes down to: if you've had the animal for 3 months without it being objected to by the landlord, then you get to keep it. I don't know how world wide that is. But, just in case it is, and you do decide to keep them in secret, document the heck out of it. Take a picture of the cage with daily newspaper as you move in and take a picture of the cage with the daily newspaper every week. Post those picture online right after you take them (because that provides a record...it eliminates the "photoshop" possibility)

So we're moving in November and unfortunately have to rehome our german shepherd pup and possible out cat https://www.chameleonforums.com/really-disappointing-92215/ posted this earlier today. Looks like we will have to move into an apartment. So my question is how many of you actually live in an apartment and have your reptiles with now issues wih landlord? Thats our biggest concern atm. We've thought about sneaking in our cat but shes a window cat so idk if that would work. But anyone have any experience with this?

I live in an apartment now. When I moved in 7 years ago, they asked me what pets I had. I said 2 snakes, and they said they didn't care about them because they don't do any damage (no pet deposit needed). They also didn't care about my chameleons. They have asked if they stay in a cage, and I always say yes. They were worried about them getting out and finding their way into other peoples apartments (more so with the snakes).

:)

i have more then a zoo and they dont care

I Live In a very nice appartment with my husband. HE had lived there for 4 yesra before i moved in. he didnt relise when he married me that he got a zoo to . we have 2 cats , 2 leopard gekos, 5 fresh water turtles , 1 crawfish, 1 salt Ive been there 4 years with my husband and the matnance men know but they havent said anything . They actully come in and hang out with the cats and animals. Its all about making friends with the right people at the appt and keeping your anamals and your appt clean. They only have to report any damage or fire / health hazzards.

Back
Top Bottom