anything other than paper towel??

chameleon97

i love substrates because they keep humidity. is there anything other than hideous paper? is moss good? if i used moss it wouldnt matter if she ate it right?

It might matter if she ate it, so I wouldn't risk it. Bare cage floors are best-use lots of live plants for humidity.

i think the other main problem with a substrate is that with all the misting that a chameleon needs it will turn into a soupy mess that will harbor unwanted bacteria that could harm your chameleon.

When i first started i used a substrate because the pet store said to. It turns into a really gross soupy mess that you'll have to clean up.

Even if she eats from a cup she is likely to shoot something off the floor, or even just go down to taste the substrate.

awww..... but brown paper towel would work. with all my plants its pretty humid i guess.
I didnt know that chameleons have brown paper towels on the ground in the wild:confused: Why would you put paper towels down in the first place?? I dont have anything on the bottom of my chameleons set up just some plants on some blocks!! I think it would pretty ridiculous with paper towels on the bottom of the set up!!:eek:

paper towels are to help us folks who don't have a drainage system and who clean their cages every two days. It helps with pick up and I can keep my humidity up with paper towel on the bottom. Many folks with drainage don't use paper towels.

Agree

I have a black tub as my base of my enclosure. I use paper towels at the base to soak up unwanted water, piss and shi%. To increase humidity I have three live plants. All my plants have unfertilized soil as the base layer in their pots. Then a layer of orchid moss to hold moisture and increase humidity and finally, a layer of stone to prevent the cham from eating the moss/substrate. This has worked superbly so far.

There's nothing wrong with paper towels to help keep a cage clean. But they sure as heck have nothing to do with keeping humidity up. Keep your humidity up not with towels or a substrate, but with misting and live plants and drippers, and humidifiers, etc. If necessary keep the cage(s) in a small room where you can increase the ambient humidity (more plants, fish tank, humidifier, etc). Install a humidifier on your furnace (its healthy for humans to have 40% humidity) so that you dont have far to raise it for your cham.

I am in Florida and get natural humidity, plus mist 3 times a day. The paper towels do hold the water until evaporated which it does for the 3 mistings a day. Just my method of doing things.

I didnt know that chameleons have brown paper towels on the ground in the wild:confused: Why would you put paper towels down in the first place?? I dont have anything on the bottom of my chameleons set up just some plants on some blocks!! I think it would pretty ridiculous with paper towels on the bottom of the set up!!:eek:

i didn't know chameleons in the wild have blocks and pots??:confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom