Anyone's cham still goin on with the winter hunger strike?

bucky

OK,i know that during the winter,it seems chameleons calm down, dont eat much and go to sleep early. But i was wondering if anyone else's cham is still not eating?

I thought mine was getting better, but he hasn't eaten in the last two days. It is getting slightly better, but we're not out of winter yet.

Just starting to break the cycle here ... or at least it feels like it.
Have had a big poop, more activity and a fresh interest in silkworms (except for yesterday)

-Brad

both of my veilds are over a year and my panthers are over 7 months. i keep them in a room with the temps regulated so its always like summer in there room, and they all seem to be doing very well i am in the middle of moving but i will try and post some pics tonight of the room when i get off work.if im doing anything wrong please let me know.

Once I could get silk worms again, Butter started chowing down. Absolutely NO interest in crickets. I ended up dumping a few in the garden...as Butter refuses to even look at them.

Ya,a couple weeks ago i dumped a thing of silkworms outside because Louie didnt even want em...not even a taste test lol. So ill try to get some more,and this time get some mulberry leaves instead of having to make the food,its a hassle for me lol. And he doesnt seem too active. Now my father put 4 crickets in his cage the other day,found 2 at night,but dont know what happened to the other two:cool:...

i have been switching it up with my food all year i buy one shipment of cricks then when thoghs run out i get a shipment of silkys and it seems to keep ther intrest. i also will give them phinix worms as a treat.

sorry about the spelling my spell check is not working and i am the worlds worst speller.

Matt

Mine was on a cricket strike for the longest time. We're talkin about more than 5 months of not eating crickets, mealworms, superworms and ONLY silkworms. Silkworms are expensive to buy at the store and when i would buy them online, they would come small that I would have to waite for them to get a little bigger. Maybe for his new years resolution, Kong (male veiled) would try crickets again. He's eating normally now and maybe even more. I have a batch of 100 silkies that i'm afraid to give to him. I don't want him to get hooked on silkies again to the point that he won't touch crickets again. Anyway, my female veiled, and my two flapjacks weren't on a cricket strike... just kong.

Ok,im glad im not the only one with this problem. Ill try to get some silkies while feedin him some crix in the meanwhile. Anyone know if you can buy mulberry leaves online?

My ambilobe isnt eating all his crickets like he normally does. He picks out the super worms and the phoenix worms out of his dish and might eat 1 cricket if im lucky.

my cham was on a hunger strike for a week straight and has been less active. He is drinking plenty of water though. I broke him out of it by putting an extra basking light pointing towards his sleeping spot. It helps him warm up in the morning and become more active. Now he is eating and pooping like crazy.

This hunger strike thing, what time of year does it start? and does it happen in warmer climates? My male 1 year old ambilobe seems to have been on a bit of a strike for a long while now, he still doesnt eat alot but he's been alot more active recently. He looks good otherwise.

This hunger strike thing, what time of year does it start? and does it happen in warmer climates? My male 1 year old ambilobe seems to have been on a bit of a strike for a long while now, he still doesnt eat alot but he's been alot more active recently. He looks good otherwise.

hunger strikes usually happen during the colder months. Some chams can go into a sort of hibernation state where they are less active. Hunger strikes can also be a sign of sickness. It's hard at first to tell the difference. One way to get them off a strike is to change up the diet. I feed my cham a variety of feeders from roaches, crickets, wax worms, zophoba, flys, and mantids. Sometimes chams can get bored of their food and you need to change it up. That is why taking care of chams is more difficult than other reptiles.

my veiled just started eating a little again, he didn't eat for like 8 days i think but yesterday he ate 5 silkies and took a big poop:D

getting a bit warmer here in new mexico and my male veild about 1 year, is just now starting to come out of it.Deff noticed he is more active in the day,and not being quite so picky. My male dwarf jacksons,about the same age as the veild,is the best little hunter i have .If it is a bug and not to big for him he will eat it :p

Maybe he did eat 2 crickets, but by less active do u mean goin to sleep a little earlier than normal too?

Back
Top Bottom