Anyone with chineese water dragon

Armywife34

My adult daughter is wanting a Chinese water dragon and I currently have a chameleon. I know about chameleons and I know this forum is for that but anyone with experience with the water dragon could give me some inside to plants thats safe would be appreciated. Also attached is my cham leo

Attachments

• 20201202_093222.jpg
    20201202_093222.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 84
As a 15 year veteran of water dragons i would not recommend them. They are above chameleon when it comes to care. One slight problem with the water, and you will get mouth or tail rot. You could of course have them without water, but that would be cruel.

There are plenty of alternatives. Have you thought about a jeweled lacerta?

Haven't kept water dragons, but I know they need large enclosures and that balance of water/land which probably has similar difficulties to caiman lizards(which I've researched on and off for a while). I'd take @nightanole word for it, probably not an easy task keeping one. Gotta be strongly committed to enclosures like those.

Never heard of those. I just want to know what kinds of plants it can have in its home. We know about the risks of mouth and tail rot. There's no talking her down from this bc it was either she has to compromise to a reptile. She was wanting a snake and the whole family is anti snake.

Never heard of those. I just want to know what kinds of plants it can have in its home. We know about the risks of mouth and tail rot. There's no talking her down from this bc it was either she has to compromise to a reptile. She was wanting a snake and the whole family is anti snake.

Your daughters requirements

" inexpensive to buy/keep 1 pound green lizard that is a good climber"

When i was growing up a water dragon was a "mini iguana for people who cant keep an iguana"

Now onto the lacerta marketing :)

D-UAMkTUIAAPBWw.jpg

I can respect that, just giving you a heads up of what it takes. I'd check some other forums/groups that have dedicated keepers for them if you don't find anyone here.

I kept green waterdragons for years. Plants for adult water dragons have to be very sturdy because they tend to crush them down with their weight. They also need to be non toxic and well washed both sides of the leaves.

I know you didn't ask but...they need very similar supplementing to what chameleons do and UVB light.... and a good sized water area too.

I also gave them a salad of the greens, fruits and veggies that we use for gutloading/feeding the insects.

If you have a female you will need an egglaying bin in the enclosure as well. For the egg bin I used two plastic wash basins one upside right filled with washed play sand and the other upside down on top of it with a hole big enough for the female to get into them....sort of like a "cave".

I kept a male and a female together in a huge glass cage that had about 1/3 of the floor area divided off by a glass divider for water ...also it had a drain with a tap under the cage to drain the water daily.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I was really stuck on getting a water dragon before I got a cham and after some research I think I made the right decision with the cham. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I was really stuck on getting a water dragon before I got a cham and after some research I think I made the right decision with the cham. Good luck with whatever you choose.
I have a chameleon his name is Leo and he is just awesome. He is actually my second one. I had a female but she passed away. No more females. Leo is very interested in people.

I got her talked into a bearded dragon with the help of her therapist. I told her we would re open the water dragon is can commit to a bearded dragon first and prove that she can follow thru. That's her problem following thru and I don't want to be stuck with it. Thanks for all the help.
Good choice, best to all

Back
Top Bottom