Anyone use Fuschias?

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've read on a couple of safe plant lists that Fuschias are ok for chams. I was just wondering if anyone has used these? I bought a small bushy one to brighten up Amy's cage, but would like some feedback before I put it in there! The plant will be washed and the soil covered if I decide to use it.

Tiff I would love to have a fuschias in one of my cages, but there is a problem. Fuschias are one of only a couple of plants I kill. Don't ever let me near a Boston Fern or a Fuschia, they look at me and die. I grow orchids, afircian violets, almost any thing you might name except those two. i wish I knew why.

But I am sure you and Amy would do great with a beautiful fuschia.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll wash the leaves later and put it in for her! It'll be nice to have a flowering plant in there before she gets too big to climb on it!

They are so pretty when in bloom:) I've always thought they'd make a nice pair of dangley earrings;)

Just make sure you place them somewhere in the cage where they are not directly under the UV as they are shade plant.

If you like the Fuschias, I think you'd really like double impatiens (same care as Fuschias) in Amy's cage, they look just like little roses, only they're cham-safe:D
Impatiens Rockapulco Apple Blossom  PW.jpg

Thanks addicted! Are Impatients the same as Busy Lizzies? I saw some in B&Q yesterday when I bought the fuchsia. They also had gorgeous Dianthus too, but I can't find them on a safe list and dn't know if they have any other names!

It looks like Impatiens and Busy Lizzies are one and the same:) I've never heard them called that before now:cool:

I believe dianthus would be poisonous for chams as they are down on toxic plants for dogs and cats lists. Too bad though, they're very pretty!

Cool! Thanks for that. Well, the Fuchsia is in the cage although I did manage to break a few stems off while washing it!:eek: It looks very nice and Amy has taken no notice of it so far!

Question why do you have to cover the dirt? Zee is not in the big plants just yet but I did not know to cover the dirt

Question why do you have to cover the dirt? Zee is not in the big plants just yet but I did not know to cover the dirt

Covering the dirt is to ensure they don't ingest in when shooting at bugs (or eat it deliberately) - potting soil almost always includes perlite (the little white pieces) for improved drainage, which is not at all a good thing to eat; it and the soil itself can both cause impaction if ingested.

Hope Amy enjoys her Fuschia, Tiff! The only flowering plant I've had with a cham was a hibsicus - he was on it every day until it stopped flowering, then he never touched it again!

Thank you for the info. when he is bigger I will cover it. I don't feed him in his big cage right now. and it is baby proofed.

Hope Amy enjoys her Fuschia, Tiff! The only flowering plant I've had with a cham was a hibsicus - he was on it every day until it stopped flowering, then he never touched it again!

I've got a Hibiscus too, but it's not very bushy so I haven't put it in the cage. The fuchsia was intended to add a bit of colour to the otherwise green cage! So far it's doing ok, only a few blooms have dropped, but they were old ones anyway. Haven't seen Amy go near it yet though! Having said that, she is getting more adventurous every day and exploring more of her 'house'!

Fuchsia update

The fuchsia didn't like the conditions in the cage! It started dropping buds so I put it outside where it still doesn't look much better!

I took it out and replaced it with the small Hibiscus which Amy/Amos loves to eat! :D I guess that plant won't last very long in there either! Lily was never a leaf muncher and she had a ficus and a schefflera that lasted the whole year that I had her.

Back
Top Bottom