Anyone seen this before?

BuddhaBud

Established Member
Whats up Cham Fam! It's been a while - just as a quick update, Buddha's doing great! His edema still fluctuates, but overall he's thriving :)

So... I've run into something unique & I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this...
Long story short, we've been attempting to get a hornworm colony going. We had a female moth hatch from diapause on the 20th (pupated last Sept.). She's beautiful! I've hand fed her a couple times & she's now at the point where she can fly & eat on her own. This is the farthest we've gotten. We have three other pupa's "on deck" - looks like a female & two males.

Curiously, it looks like the adult female has deposited some eggs? I found two little blue orbs in her enclosure! However I'm not quite sure how this is possible since she hasn't been mated.

Pics for reference below (sry for the selfie).. Has anyone else seen this before?

20180521_164122.jpg
IMG_20180521_165422_601.jpg
20180524_142858.jpg 20180524_142911.jpg

Looks like eggs. But worthless if not fertile. Is thathere a Stevia plant or may Pitunia plant?

Ah! Drat. Okay. I'll have to get my timing down better & hatch a male & female around the same time.. Someone from Chameleon Central USA (FB Group) was also really helpful: "I try to have at least 6-8 trying to get a pair at the same time. Males will live a bit longer assuming they are fed. Last time I won and had 3 females and one male. Each female laid 300-400 eggs."

And they're petunia's - I figured the flowers / aromas might entice her to feed.

Back
Top Bottom