Anyone here have dart frogs?

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm thinking of making Ezekiel a larger bioactive custom enclosure. It would be 60"Lx34"Wx48"H size on a raised cabinet/base using a standard shower pan. I've came across one of these for free from a contractor friend I have. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sterling-G...4-in-W-x-60-in-L-with-Center-Drain/1000053487 I also have the shower walls that goes with it. I plan on cutting the height on them down to size as well.

So I was thinking of converting Ezekiel's current 36x18x36 Exoterra into a dart frog enclosure.

Just wandering is anyone keeps dart frogs, how hard are they to care for, and how hard are fruit fly cultures to maintain since they only eat very tiny insects?

Thanks,

Tony

I'm thinking of making Ezekiel a larger bioactive custom enclosure. It would be 60"Lx34"Wx48"H size on a raised cabinet/base using a standard shower pan. I've came across one of these for free from a contractor friend I have. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sterling-G...4-in-W-x-60-in-L-with-Center-Drain/1000053487 I also have the shower walls that goes with it. I plan on cutting the height on them down to size as well.

So I was thinking of converting Ezekiel's current 36x18x36 Exoterra into a dart frog enclosure.

Just wandering is anyone keeps dart frogs, how hard are they to care for, and how hard are fruit fly cultures to maintain since they only eat very tiny insects?

Thanks,

Tony
I don’t know about dart frogs but last summer I raised up three hundred fire bellied toad froglets and they ate a whole lot of fruit flies. I had 15 cultures going and found it very easy using josh’s frogs Culture medium. They are stinky though, FYI.

Fruit Flies are easy to reproduce! I would love to add frogs (although I’d like some of the species native to Madagascar like Mantellas). You’ll have a ton of options to build a SWEET enclosure with that size!

I've kept dart frogs (ok, technically my husband has) for about 9 years, so can answer your questions. We have the bumblebee frogs (can't think of the name at the moment though!). The fruit flies are pretty simple - we have 2 frogs and my husband makes 1 fruit fly culture per week which is plenty. The only thing to watch out for is mites which happens occasionally. The other weird thing that happened was that a flying fruit fly must have gotten in (or nature found a way), so we started getting partially flying fruit flies for a while! We have a heavily planted enclosure that needs pruning from time to time, but they are otherwise very easy to maintain.

Thanks,

Tony

Not about the frogs, but that cage. Why have it on a raised stand and not floor level?

As someone who has a large bioactive Viv, I highly regret not going floor to almost ceiling. I actually want to rebuild to rectify that regret. :(.

Thanks,

Tony
I've kept dart frogs for a few years now. I currently have two different locales. I have some tinctorius and some oophaga sylvatica. If it's your first time I recommend looking up the www.dendroboard.com it's a forum like here those folks are super helpful like here. First time, tincs are a good idea they're very hardy. Once you have a pair though you have to only leave a male and female together the females are dominant. Sometimes you can get away with two males....sometimes. now the oophaga are a little harder. They're smaller and they feed their tadpoles themselves when they breed which is nice. They're male dominant. Fruit fly cultures are literally the easiest things in the world to keep. I buy my media from Josh's frogs. They have a bundle kit I believe makes 10 or 20 comes with cups and everything you need. Make your cultures they take about 2 weeks to be ready to use. Make more cultures from those and feed your frogs from them. If you go for tincs i recommend at least one culture per frog...they eat a lot. But they are a very forgiving frog if you make mistakes. They're bold and dont hide as much and not easily startled. Dont ever mix species in a tank and no water features. I mist mine a couple times a day sometimes more depending. New tanks require more misting until they settle in. You'll need isopods and springtails in your tank at least a few weeks before you get the frogs. Give them time to populate because the frogs will eat them. Plants need time to grow in and root also.

Back
Top Bottom