Anyone have a pond?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve been interested in keeping ducks for eggs lately. Originally I wanted chickens, but after some reading, ducks seem like a good choice. I’ve read a few guides on making a natural ‘self cleaning’ pond… pretty much a large scale bioactive pond lol. Doesn’t seem all that complicated, but was curious if any of you have experience with this?

Or feel free to share any landscaping projects you’ve done at your house as well… my wife and I have been completely redoing our yard as a new hobby(obsession). Would love to see any creative ideas you all have!

I got a koi pond with natural filter. Used a 300 gallon rubber made trough for filter and used bog plants in it. Had a stream off it for 5 years. Before I did away with stream

Went with bigger pump this year in stead of two pump. Haven't order the flex pipe yet so used white pvc for now

Attachments

• 20220616_180855.jpg
    20220616_180855.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 74
Bog 300 gallon behind pond. Son hit it with tractor last week. I wouldn't waste money on pond filter. Bog keeps water clearer then pond filters and cheaper. It's also no maintenance. You can grow what ever you want in it. I did pepper's and tomatoes few times. Now it's just Bog plants that are hardy for my zone. Water goes in top and comes out bottom. I just filled with lava rock more surface area

If you got kids they like catching the frogs. Also ended up with a water turtle some how he stays around. Next time I see him I'll take pic

Attachments

• 20220525_105146.jpg
    20220525_105146.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 67
Man that sounds so cool. I wonder how one would hold up to duck waste. Might take a bit to establish the bacteria to break it down eh.

Guess it depends on how many ducks. I get ducks in pond few times year.also had geese come around and have this heron that used to eat my fish till I put a 16 inch round pvc pipe in bottom.ponds bring all kinds of wild life. They sell the bacteria in gallon jugs for ponds.

Guess it depends on how many ducks. I get ducks in pond few times year.also had geese come around and have this heron that used to eat my fish till I put a 16 inch round pvc pipe in bottom.ponds bring all kinds of wild life. They sell the bacteria in gallon jugs for ponds.

Well it sounds pretty awesome. I’m thinking 5-6 ducks. So like a 7x7 pond or something around there 🤷🏻‍♂️

My uncle has ducks and eats the eggs. He been doing it since i was a little kid and im 45. He also has geese and peacocks

Here night pic for some reason phone not leaven it dark look. The smoking bush in back looks like it glows in person but not in pic. You can see little of bog filter to right

Attachments

• 20220616_214307.jpg
    20220616_214307.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 68
Here night pic for some reason phone not leaven it dark look. The smoking bush in back looks like it glows in person but not in pic. You can see little of bog filter to right
That’s awesome! I’ll have to research the right livestock for keeping ducks, wouldn’t want something the ducks would eat or visa versa.

I’ve been interested in keeping ducks for eggs lately. Originally I wanted chickens, but after some reading, ducks seem like a good choice. I’ve read a few guides on making a natural ‘self cleaning’ pond… pretty much a large scale bioactive pond lol. Doesn’t seem all that complicated, but was curious if any of you have experience with this?

Or feel free to share any landscaping projects you’ve done at your house as well… my wife and I have been completely redoing our yard as a new hobby(obsession). Would love to see any creative ideas you all have!
You thinking liner, or clay?

Back
Top Bottom