Anyone ever get sick after a claw puncture?

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've had the opportunity to handle Mr. Grumpypants quite a bit of late. His idea—not mine. :)
I'm always diligent about handwashing before & after handling, but a couple(?) of days ago, he puntured me pretty good with a claw. It didn't draw blood, but definitely felt like a needle poke. Last night I got a heck of a stomach bug, but I haven't been out of the house in weeks, so no possibility of community exposure. Bug seems to be over (🤞) but the claw puncture crossed my mind.... Not suggesting salmonella per se unless it was extremely mild, I'm resistant, or I just found a new possibility for Covid vaccine. :LOL:

Has anyone here ever gotten sick after handling their chameleon?

THX. Me too—more cat & dog scars than I can remember. But none of our dogs & cat had salmonella.

No fever—just the gut, and it's still with me. Been trying to figure out how & where, but the claw puncture is the only thing we've been able to find different (we always get sick together—not this time).

I found one study that says salmonella can be spread through cat claws.
Felis Punctatis: Cat Claw-induced Punctures - NCBI

🤷‍♂️

THX. Me too—more cat & dog scars than I can remember. But none of our dogs & cat had salmonella.

No fever—just the gut, and it's still with me. Been trying to figure out how & where, but the claw puncture is the only thing we've been able to find different (we always get sick together—not this time).

I found one study that says salmonella can be spread through cat claws.
Felis Punctatis: Cat Claw-induced Punctures - NCBI

🤷‍♂️
The risk of salmonella from a claw is real. I don't know enough about it. I always wondered, we know turtles and aquatics. A cham would seem less likely but if it stepped in poop on a branch that would give it a pathway, even if it wasn't open very long as it would die drying out. But The possibility has to exist.

I've had the opportunity to handle Mr. Grumpypants quite a bit of late. His idea—not mine. :)
I'm always diligent about handwashing before & after handling, but a couple(?) of days ago, he puntured me pretty good with a claw. It didn't draw blood, but definitely felt like a needle poke. Last night I got a heck of a stomach bug, but I haven't been out of the house in weeks, so no possibility of community exposure. Bug seems to be over (🤞) but the claw puncture crossed my mind.... Not suggesting salmonella per se unless it was extremely mild, I'm resistant, or I just found a new possibility for Covid vaccine. :LOL:

Has anyone here ever gotten sick after handling their chameleon?
No I have not-but yeah the claws are sharp and the grip is tight so that is a bad combo. I keep a bottle of tea tree oil around in case my cat nicks me. It literally will keep a scratch from even turning red and the scratch disappears. Apparently a potent natural antimicrobial. Figured it would do the same for cham scratches/holes so I put it on there, too!

Seems to me salmonella would require an oral route to upset the stomach, with a scratch it would go to blood stream-but that is a guess only.

I've worked with a few species being treated for salmonella including horse. Puncture wounds were never a route I would have expected. I would think you would have to have some sign of infection at the site of puncture. Just a guess sorry no practical knowledge.

Klyde o scope It’s possible that you were exposed to something else around the same time as the claw puncture. Your wife just may not have caught it as well. It is possible for two people to be exposed to a stomach bug and only one person get it. I do hope you feel better soon!

No I have not-but yeah the claws are sharp and the grip is tight so that is a bad combo. I keep a bottle of tea tree oil around in case my cat nicks me. It literally will keep a scratch from even turning red and the scratch disappears. Apparently a potent natural antimicrobial. Figured it would do the same for cham scratches/holes so I put it on there, too!

Seems to me salmonella would require an oral route to upset the stomach, with a scratch it would go to blood stream-but that is a guess only.
+1 on not bug

I've never handled my boy so no and he seems to not want to respectfully so I will not stress him and just let him do what he do

I live in filth, ill down a taco after picking them up and placing them in the outside cages. Never wash hands. Constantly wonder if i will bleed out from none chameleon scratches.

But i will say if your extended family member positioned you with poop, it happens within 2 hours. and it can only happen orally. "cat scratch fever" etc will not make you poop your bones out.

I'd say that you have a good question going on here... Carly has never punctured me but I stopped handling her a year ago because she was trying to eat my fingers. Her nails are super sharp now so would definitely dig in. Could have something to do with your body reaction to what the chameleon has in it's body. It's a live animal, most likely carrying things we don't want to absorb into our bloodstream.

Yea- this is tricky and IMO your body was triggered, maybe not infected, to react this way. I have similar issue but it is skin related and its going on 5 years (not supper bad and manageable).

Large Savanna Monitor , Bobo, scratched my leg. It healed but is always itchy and sometime reddish Went to dermatologist and they did the cookie cutter removal of the area. They saw nothing under the microscope. Me being passive said "okay" and continue having the issue except is is now a circle about 7" round. Not to noticeable on the surface all the time, but it itches like crazy once in a while.. The need to scratch until it bleeds type of itch. So maybe I am causing the flare ups myself..
Personally know it was due to the nails but not sure why my skin continues to react that way.. It has been checked twice and was going for a third last year but covid prevented that.. It is manageable.

Hope your feeling better and figure it out.. Stay hydrated (y)

I live in filth, ill down a taco after picking them up and placing them in the outside cages. Never wash hands. Constantly wonder if i will bleed out from none chameleon scratches.

But i will say if your extended family member positioned you with poop, it happens within 2 hours. and it can only happen orally. "cat scratch fever" etc will not make you poop your bones out.
remind me not to shake your hand when we meet.. lol Just teasing

Teasing about when we meet.. :cool:(y)

For those that did not get it------ If you don't meet, you can't shake hands. (y)

"I live in filth, ill down a taco after picking them up and placing them in the outside cages."

Good god man 🤣

"I live in filth, ill down a taco after picking them up and placing them in the outside cages."

Good god man 🤣

I laugh when i have visitors, and after handling they immediately purel their hands. The horror on their faces when i dont.

My reply "look you are gonna get sick petting a dirty dog that sits in its own filth, the lizards get at least monthly baths". Then they ask "where you do bath a lizard?" And the horror on their faces comes back as i point to the people shower...

I laugh when i have visitors, and after handling they immediately purel their hands. The horror on their faces when i dont.

My reply "look you are gonna get sick petting a dirty dog that sits in its own filth, the lizards get at least monthly baths".
That could be construed as animal neglect (regarding the dog).
What it boils down to is pathogens that can cross the specie barrier.

Then they ask "where you do bath a lizard?" And the horror on their faces comes back as i point to the people shower...
Chameleon's never needed a bath, but the beardie gets them whenever he's constipated.
I have been known to rinse his cloaca under the faucet on occasions when he traipses through it...

Back
Top Bottom