Any Vegetarians on these Forums?!

I try not to eat too much meat, but when I do it's from local markets mainly. If you can get your meats from a local farmer's market, whose farms you see along the highways and you can see all the cows eating grass on large pastures, you know this meat came from pretty happy cows. They weren't crammed into tiny stalls in 2 feet of their own feces eating corn and festering with E-coli. Not only were the cows heathier and treated less like merchandise, but the meat you're getting is healthier for you. And every time you buy localy, you're voting with your dollars that healthy, local food is more in demand than the other stuff. Just something to throw out there lol They talk a lot about better choices you can make to "vote" against the cruel treatment of food animals and farmers in the documentary Food Inc. which I highly suggest everyone watch. I thought it was fascinating.

Unfortunately around here there aren't a lot of local farmer's markets, and if there are it's not for any meat, just veggies and fruits. Not a lot to choose from. I've noticed I haven't been eating any meats that are raw from the store, normally that nasty prepackaged stuff, probably not really meat anyways. :rolleyes: So eh.

I was a vegetarian for several years, then had to start eating fish for my health. Recently I've been encouraged to eat other meats as well, and as bad as I feel about it, I have to take care of my health. :(

PeTA wins stupid remark of the year award.

A spokesman for PETA said, "This is bad for us. Most of our members haven't eaten anything since hearing about the results. Our lawyers are looking into suing Mother Earth for false advertising, but concede that the suit will probably be inconclusive. In the meantime we'll be surviving on vitamin supplements and water."
I really hope this is their humorous side showing.. next thing you know they will stop eating entirely because they are taking away food from other creatures that could be benefiting from the food, like those poor starving radishes.

XD Niiiice...
I don't have some huge moral dilemma over this, it's just a weird change. I never could stand the vegetarians who act like they are so superior because they don't eat animals (or vice-versa, but that seems to be less common and more likely to be a joke).:p

I still haven't quite gotten used the the idea that it's not a waste of my time to look at the entire menu. :rolleyes:

You might enjoy the book "Much Depends on Dinner"
its not about being a vegetarian, but it's quite an interesting read about the history and realities of common foods.

For the vegetarians (perhaps not the vegans) - consider eating insects as one of your protein sources. It's fairly easy to raise insects in an ethical way. Mealworms have a pleasant nutty taste.

You might enjoy the book "Much Depends on Dinner"
its not about being a vegetarian, but it's quite an interesting read about the history and realities of common foods.

For the vegetarians (perhaps not the vegans) - consider eating insects as one of your protein sources. It's fairly easy to raise insects in an ethical way. Mealworms have a pleasant nutty taste.

haha thanks, but no thanks lol :) I will never eat a bug in my life. (that i know of) lol. i just ate lasagna with boca burger meat :) YUM

I've been thinking about eating insects. Figured I'd try some grasshoppers. :) have you tried supers?

I had some fried worms once (I want to say waxworms, but it's been a while so I'm not entirely sure) when I was a zoo volunteer. We were attending an insect festival at another zoo and there were a few different flavors. Honestly they weren't bad - a lot like potato chips. :p

haha thanks, but no thanks lol :) I will never eat a bug in my life. (that i know of) lol. i just ate lasagna with boca burger meat :) YUM
http://www.chineseop.com/others/Wha...allowed-to-be-in-candy-bars-per-the-FDA-.html

There are percentages of bugs allowed in many kinds of foods. It has also been said you eat various insects while you sleep, but no real data has been given on this... however, I would not doubt it happens.

edit:
19Lesson293.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-112942/Plants-talk-say-scientists.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM

Last edited:
I have been a vegetarian for 13 years and my DH for 35 years. There is much information online and oodles of recipes. You can purchase substitute protein in the form of patties, grounds and chix. Greek yogurt is a godsend because it offers about 15-18 grams of protein in each cup. stay away from the regular commercial yogurt, too many calories for hardly any protein.

The common mistake is to replace the meat with carbs - not healthy. Of course tofu is a very good choice.

We eat eggs, honey, cheese which makes us vegetarians and not vegans. We don't nit pic about hidden bone meal (rofl) but choose not to eat gelatin which is made from boiled bones.

You can PM me if you wish any more information.

Well, I am a vegetarian, and I am wondering who else is Vegetarian. I have just become a vegetarian about 2-3 weeks ago, but I am not a Vegan (too hard for me hehehe) so anyone else? good tips? vitamins and supplements, i haven't found much and would love some help to kick start this!
Thanks!

Welcome Rave to the vegetarian world!
I've been a strict vegetarian for 32 years.
I never tell other people what to eat because I don't want anyone preaching to me about their own lifestyle, it's just not polite. But since you asked...
I am a peace activist and vegetarianism is my personal peace demonstration.
I am very healthy and I do take a one a day for old people (over 50) plus I make a conscious decision to stay away from the foods that are known to be the worst (ie. soda, fast food). Most importantly, I must take my own food everywhere I go. It's difficult to find food that hasn't been messed with (msg, fillers, animal fat) in restaurants or cafeterias. I am active and love hiking in the mtns and I think the foods we eat determine our ability to stay active.
Good luck with your shopping. Oh yeah, the morning star bacon, sausage, bbq ribs, buffalo wings are delicious(no, I don't work for them). Yves hot dogs are the best. Soyrizo is sold near the tofu, it makes great taco filling. Vegenaise is agreat sandwich spread.

I dont think eating meat is really part of Americas obesity problem. Eating it in excess, yes, along with every other thing in excess.

I will take a salad over junk food any day of the week.......although I hope a mouth watering medium rare steak follows it!!!

americas obesity problem is mcdonalds and the fact that every corner you turn you're running into fast food. americas obesity problem is also lazy neglectful parents and fat little picky eaters. canadas obesity problem is poutines :) lol

[edit] ps, im not a veg, and i dont think i ever will be. theres nothing more satisfying than "b-b-q spareribs topped off with a nice cold budwieser" - Harry Carray

Ew. Spare ribs are icky. I didn't even like those when I was little and ate meat. Cow tongue was good though.

I've seen cow tongue up close! My mean brother rubbed a huge raw tongue in my face telling me to try it. He put worse things on my face.
No wonder I'm a vegetarian!

americas obesity problem is mcdonalds and the fact that every corner you turn you're running into fast food. americas obesity problem is also lazy neglectful parents and fat little picky eaters.

I agree. Definitely part of the problem! It is one thing for adults to be obese and another for kids. I cant stand seeing obese kids. It is child abuse/neglect if you ask me.

I was actually a vegetarian for around 4 years. I dont know how I did it. I think it made me love meat even more after I started eating it again.

spare ribs are icky..... but a cow's tongue...is not... but rather..good? :eek::confused: i'm speechless

You only eat American style food? Cow tongue was good, not good enough to keep eating meat, but still good. It depends how it's prepared too.

Morning star black bean chipotle burgers with BBQ sauce is amazing. Even my meat eating friends like them. Also the boca sun dried tomato burgers are really good. My dog even likes them, not that she gets them but when she steals them.

Back
Top Bottom