any royal python owners here?

xcrystalx

hi guys ;)

ive adored snakes all my life and im finally being allowed to get one,ive always loved royal pythons and im getting one in a few months time.does anyone here own a royal?
would love to see pics of both them and there setup.:)

I used to have be, just a normal, but I love my boas more (bci/bcc's and e.cenchria's to be specific). Bp's are too boring for me both in activity and size. There are some really really good morphs out there though!!

As far as set up goes, it's pretty similar to what you'd have a corn or columbian on: aspen shavings (or paper towel/newspaper if you prefer), a heat pad on one end (do not use a lamp, snakes get heat from their belly, not backs like lizards do), water dish, a hide big enough for it, and in an enclosure appropriate to its size. It's pretty basic. When it's in blue, you can choose to either put in a smaller tub (with lid, big enough for it to fit in. And a hole big enough for it to get through) with some damp moss, or give it a misting couple times a day to help with shedding. You obviously can add plants (add fake, as snakes tend to trample live so it's pointless), fixtures, etc. a smooth branch or maybe antlers will help when it comes to shedding time.
Two of the biggest things to note, make sure it's aspen ONLY. Pine, cedar, and other woods are toxic to snakes because of the oils they yield and often aid in RI.
And bp's have been known to be finicky eaters. Often snakes (more often males than females) will go off food for a couple months during "that season", but bp's will sometimes stop eating just cause. Don't be too alarmed if your snake is still healthy, a good weight, and not showing any signs of RI, etc.

Looking forward to whatever you get! Be sure to post any pictures (or if you have questions)!!

I've had a normal wc rescue royal for many years. I suspect he's getting a little old by now. No setup pics, but basically he's in a large Vision viv with sliding glass front, thermo controlled Kane heat mat, 2 naturalistic hides, rock bowl, herp carpet (he never seemed to like substrates but always chose soft fabrics or carpets if offered) etc.

He has always preferred several f/t breeder female mice (the retired female mice are larger and fatter than normal adults) to rats. He does fast fairly often, but I know when he's hungry as he gets a lot more active in his viv. After struggling to find just the right combination of feeder box, temp, lighting, time of night, prey presentation we've settled on feeding in his viv, though I know most keepers say this is a no-no. He has never mistakenly struck at me ever. If I think he's hungry and have to open the viv to clean, I spritz my hands with cage cleaner first and start moving the bowl, hides around right away. He knows its not meal time. When feeding night comes I sort of prepare him by misting the viv lightly a couple of times in the evening, turn off room lights, don't move anything around the viv, and wait for him to arrange himself in a hunting posture before presenting the mice. If he's ready to eat he'll strike the mice right away. If not, I remove them.

He's gentle and beautiful, easy to handle by anyone. He has that "big snake" look without being a big snake that has to be crammed into a smaller space. I've taken him to birthday parties, schools, and scout meetings. The neighbor kids visit him and squabble over who gets his next shed. I have to agree about him being a little less interesting in terms of activity and behaviors, but then I'm comparing his needs to the daily demands of my chams or my birds.

Last edited:
hi thanks for your replies :)

i was just being nosey ;)
and wanted to see pics of your royals & setups.no worries if you dont have any.

yeah ive done my research over the last 6 months.really looking forward to getting one very soon.:)

Last edited:
I don't have a royal i have a corn snake but just got him a new viv as his in my son's room
Not much help for you but thought i would share it anyway he loves going in the tubes it would be ok for a juvenile royal but would need bigger in the end

Attachments

• DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 157
that looks cool.;)
thanks for sharing :)
yeah im going to get a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft viv at first.if i have to upgrade down the line i will.i know they dont like too much open space so ill make sure theres plenty of hides/cover etc.

I have a 4ft vivexotic with the cabint for sale if your interested its got a new 10% uv bulb with all the fittings and a heat bulb fitting

hi thanks for the offer but im getting the viv for nothing from a friend.otherwise there just going to throw it away.
im going to take the doors and shelf off sullys viv cabinet and pop the snake viv in there.

thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom