Any recommendations on enclosure?

cdelei

Hello! It's been many years since I've owned a chameleon. Just got a panther chameleon. I've been reading posts to determine what my setup should be. I've included details below. I think my biggest concern is the misting schedule, and whether I should add a dripper. Please let me know if you think any changes are needed! I would greatly appreciate it! I want to make sure this little guy does well. :) Ty!!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther, male, approx. 8 months, new chameleon in our household
  • Handling - so far, just out of the travel box and into his enclosure; was surprisingly unconcerned and maintained normal coloring during the process
  • Feeding - 10 crickets am, 5 more pm; will be varying this with horned worms, super worms, and roaches
  • Supplements - calcium w/o D3 for daily dusting; D3 and multi-vit 2x monthly; all Rep-Cal brand
  • Fecal Description - not yet observed
  • Cage Type - 18x18x38 screen; in a larger size stand so I ca n up the size later
  • Lighting - UVA Daylight Blue bulb, 60w; 5.0 UVB basking bulb 13w
  • Temperature - Hygrom/therm bottom of cage, high 60's; thermometer in top of cage, 85 in basking spot; overnight temps in house not below 65; lights on at 6am and lights off at 9pm
  • Humidity - Have been running Mistking for a couple days before picking up Chameleon; current schedule at 9 mistings per day, 1.5 hours apart, 25 seconds each; approx. 70-80% after misting; drops no lower than 55% between mistings; hygrometer at bottom of cage; just ordered second combo hygrom/thermom for top of cage; have not yet seen Chameleon drink (just picked him up today)
  • Plants - silk plants, one plastic that I am taking out once my last ordered silk plant comes; pothos plant at bottom of cage
  • Placement - cage is in my office, not much foot traffic; placed under and to the side of heat/ac vent, with vent directed out into and across the room; top of cage is eye level with me, cage sits up on a stand
  • Location - Southern California

20180311_200107.jpg 20180311_174057.jpg

I would use a regular white incandescent household bulb for a basking bulb. I don't recommend using colored lights.
I would add a dripper that is run long enough to stimulate drinking every day.
I would also recommend using real plants that are non toxic and well washed.
Nice looking chameleon !

Thank you! I added a dripper. Will gradually add in real plants vs the fake. Only one real in there so far.

Is there a reason for not using colored bulbs (this one is blue)? I am more than willing to go pick one up, but just curious at to the reason.

I appreciate the input!

Back
Top Bottom