any parson owners?

How much harder are Parsons to care for than panthers? Im thinking of breeding a couple pairs of them as well... I would love to see some pics of yours~!

lol I hope you got lots of cash, aren't they worth like thousands? from what I've read they're extremely hard to find because they're one of the species that's almost extinct and are quite hard to reproduce (which explains their high prices)

also arn't they one of the species that requires extreme humidity levels? I think they're a chameleon that's best left to the pros of the pros

Parsonii can be harder than the panther or veiled chameleon, but not as hard as one would think. The biggest thing they need is your time to make sure everything is correct at all times such as temps, humidity,caging, and what's put in the cages. They need large cages, high humidity and a lot of water along with a large diet. They need different food sources such as roaches, mantis, crickets,hornworms,walking sticks and so on. Wild caught Parsonii unlike other wild caught chameleons do seem to have a lot of problems, but even captive born can be a little tricky at times. You MUST have a good vet and the money to care for them. I have noticed that my Parsonii don't like to be around a lot of activity and they seem to respond best to me. I think they get use to seeing one person and learn to trust them, or maybe that's just my mind thinking what it wants to think. Either way, they seem to be doing just fine for now. If anyone is thinking of getting Parsonii, please do your research and make sure that you are not on a bugget or always gone. And if your going to do it, do it simply for the passion of the animal and not the thought of making money or your going to be the one that breeds and hatches Parsonii, because 15-18 months is a long time for something to go wrong. They are best left to the people who have the time and money to care for them, and if you have that then enjoy! I usually don't post but thought maybe my 2 cents could be of some help this time.

Curtis

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 234
Curtis: those are some beautiful parsonii! How many are you working with? What are their ages? Obviously you've got breeding plans?

And maybe to play devil's advocate here... but why the cache with the Calumma parsonii? What makes them "the pinnacle" of chameleon keeping to most of you? There are plenty of other just-as-rare or rarer species out there that have the same husbandry and/or breeding challenges as the parsonii + relateds. Why not those guys?

No flame wars or egos or envy please! Just call me curious.

T

Parsonii can be harder than the panther or veiled chameleon, but not as hard as one would think. The biggest thing they need is your time to make sure everything is correct at all times such as temps, humidity,caging, and what's put in the cages. They need large cages, high humidity and a lot of water along with a large diet. They need different food sources such as roaches, mantis, crickets,hornworms,walking sticks and so on. Wild caught Parsonii unlike other wild caught chameleons do seem to have a lot of problems, but even captive born can be a little tricky at times. You MUST have a good vet and the money to care for them. I have noticed that my Parsonii don't like to be around a lot of activity and they seem to respond best to me. I think they get use to seeing one person and learn to trust them, or maybe that's just my mind thinking what it wants to think. Either way, they seem to be doing just fine for now. If anyone is thinking of getting Parsonii, please do your research and make sure that you are not on a bugget or always gone. And if your going to do it, do it simply for the passion of the animal and not the thought of making money or your going to be the one that breeds and hatches Parsonii, because 15-18 months is a long time for something to go wrong. They are best left to the people who have the time and money to care for them, and if you have that then enjoy! I usually don't post but thought maybe my 2 cents could be of some help this time.

Curtis

awesome pics. I wish my local zoo had a pair of parsonii. All they have are nosey be. Are you going to breed them? Also where did you get your branches and from what tree are they from? Did you have to do anything to sterilize them before putting them in the cage?

wow beuatiful Curtis thanks for all the responses
this is a incredible specie..
around how many eggs do they lay ?
any breeders around here?

Curtis those Parsons look AWESOME. Thank's for sharing! I could only dream to be able to have them one day :p

Heres some info on parsons

"""""""Some Fact's :

Scientific Name - Calumma Parsonii

Distribution - Central Eastern Madagascar Rainforest
Care

Ideal Temperature Ranges Are Between 72-82f These Animals Prefer A Cool Rainforest Terrarium Set - Up That Has Good Airflow , And Enough Room For Hatchlings To Roam In The Cage . A 40 Gal Minimum Is Good To Raise Juvi Animals For A Few Months Until A Large - Adult Set Up Is Ready. On Our Products Page You Will Find Fresh Air Habitats To Be Suitable For Raising Chameleons Such As Parsonii .
The Lighting Should Be A 5.0 Reptisun Uvb Lamp. The Basking Lamps Can Be A 25 - 50 W Spot Lamp, And Should Not Cover A Large Portion Of The Cage . As These Animals Need To Escape Heat When Needed And If They Do Bask , Which Is Rare , Is Only For A Few Minutes.

The Cage Humidity Should Range From 90% -100%

These Giant Chameleons Can Reach A Length Of 30 Inches Ranking Them Among The Worlds Largest Of Chameleons . Unlike Other Species , These Animals Are Mild Mannered And Have Somewhat Of A Friendly Quiet Demeanor .

I Hope This May Help Anyone Who Is Prepared And Thinking Of A Parsons They Range Ffrom 1500$ To 3000$ Very Pricey"""""""

http://www.globalexoticpets.com/Stock_pages/Parsons_Chameleons.htm

Last edited:
Jeepers! I paid $200 around '94-'95 for my Parsons. I don't think I'll try my hand with those guys anytime soon. It really was awesome to share my room with one. She had two big ficus trees with horizontal dowel rods running through them , a pothos a heat lamp and a big window. I did my best. Nice pictures Curtis. They bring back cool memories.

Back
Top Bottom