Any one else have this Problem

AMGChams

I have a large hibiscus plant and a smaller umbrella plant in my female veiled chams cage. She is 6 months old and recently she has totally ravished the umbrella plant eating almost every leaf off it. She eats like a little piggy, she has 2 to 3 wax worms once a week as a treat and 6 to 8 large crickets a day with the occasional roach or two. She gets calcium dust every day and multi vits and calcium with D3 once a month. I am just wondering why she feels the need to attack and eat that plant lol. :confused:
I think she is going to kill the poor plant.

my young male veiled is the same. He never touched any leaves until about a month ago and now he will happily chow down on one. He isnt totally ravaging the plant as you say but he will target specific leaves and travel from one end of his cage to another just to take a bite out of a certain leaf:confused: i often put salad leaves in his cage but he just ignores them :D

my young male veiled is the same. He never touched any leaves until about a month ago and now he will happily chow down on one. He isnt totally ravaging the plant as you say but he will target specific leaves and travel from one end of his cage to another just to take a bite out of a certain leaf:confused: i often put salad leaves in his cage but he just ignores them :D

I have also offered her greens but she seems to love this one plant. I just don't want her to get upset if the plant dies lol.

My Amy was the same - she used to sleep on one of the 'umbrellas' until she ate it!:D She managed to munch her way through two Scheffelra, then didn't touch any mote. I have never been able to get her to eat greens or fruit/veg since, until she laid her first infertile clutch and now she loves wild rocket leaves and slivers of carrot! Females are far too greedy for their own good though!:rolleyes:

Have you tried using a magnetic chip clip and attaching the greens to the screen by a favorite basking spot. When I kept veileds many yrs ago I had luck with attching the greens by chip clip to the screen. I could never get them to eat greens out of a bowl though. :confused:

Have you tried using a magnetic chip clip and attaching the greens to the screen by a favorite basking spot. When I kept veileds many yrs ago I had luck with attching the greens by chip clip to the screen. I could never get them to eat greens out of a bowl though. :confused:

I might have to try that. Thank you for the advice.

Female veileds are well-known in my experience to strip plants of their leaves. I don't think its water that they are looking for though...it might be nutrients since they do it most often when they are carrying eggs.

Female veileds are well-known in my experience to strip plants of their leaves. I don't think its water that they are looking for though...it might be nutrients since they do it most often when they are carrying eggs.

I don't think she is with eggs so to speak ... she is only 6 months old but when I get home I will post a photo of her. I will supply her with a laying bin just incase though ... great now I am worried about this :(

Kinyonga,
Here is a photo of her from like a week or two ago I don't see any signs that she might be gravid but I am also a new cham owner. Sorry the photo is kind of blury.
tiny1-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom