any ideas?

yoshi9

I want to intoduce another feeder to my little guys I want something that I can easily take care of and breed that will be kinda fun to watch get devoured like a praying mantis or walking stick. Thanks

How about praying mantids or walking sticks?...

I was doing research on walking sticks but from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong and where to get some) they are illegal in the us, and mantids I heard could possibly hurt your cham have you heard of anything like that? And how cannibalistic are they really? I see people keeping babies in a giant jar like a giant pretzel jar. If you have any mantids could you post some pictures of your setups?

Harry (Warpdrive) breeds mantids. I'm sure he will be glad to help once he gets on. He also sells them :) You can see some for sale in the classifieds HERE

He's extremely helpful and knowledgeable about them. I'm sure he will get back to you soon :)

Yes he is we've talked a few times before :) very bhelpful and nice there was someone else trying to sell off some ghost but I don't have the message anymore :(

Have you tried blue bottle flies or flies? Chameleons seem to have lots of fun chasing and hunting them down.

Leo no, but im going to be getting probably two breeding pairs of mantids so im gonna get on those fly cultures. Jakama I love dubias (not to eat lol) and so do my chams i put them on the screen for them and they chase them all over and pretty easy to care for and breed

I'm sorry for the delay in PMs and any questions on mantids.

right now I am sold out on ghosts and jewel flower mantids. I will have ghosts by next week or so. PMs will go out shortly for more info.

I mostly keep my mantids in 24oz and 32oz deli cups with lids that have a sponge plug for easy feeding and misting so you don't have to open the lid to do so. my deli cups are of high quality and can be photographed through them...they are so clear.

here is a 32oz cup with two L5 Ghost females in it.
5438267102_c0ecb4a647_b.jpg

you can keep ghosts in plastic or glass terrariums or butterfly cages too. the small 12x12x12 terarrium located just to the left of the screen cages in this video has 6 ghost mantids in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCCgr7wcdA

Ghost mantids are easy and fun. they do require flying food like houseflys and bluebottle once they are past fruitflys. they also like moths.
they are like roaches in that they take a long time to grow up before you will have babies. yet they are safe and easy to feed to your chameleons. they don't bite and don't fly if they are less then adult. but once adult, the males will fly and that is not a bad thing for a chameleon.

Harry

Thanks for the reply hairy right now im looking at getting two sexed breeding pairs from the mantid forum, do they need substrate? Make sure you add me to the pm list though :p I have always loved bugs!

Thanks for the reply hairy right now im looking at getting two sexed breeding pairs from the mantid forum, do they need substrate? Make sure you add me to the pm list though :p I have always loved bugs!

paper towel is just fine. I use the moss because it just works better for humidity.

oh and can you breed adults from the same mom and dad?

yes. but some don't do it and think it may help give you extra strong babies.

Harry

paper towel is just fine. I use the moss because it just works better for humidity.

yes. but some don't do it and think it may help give you extra strong babies.

Harry

Ok cool and what do you keep your babies in when they hatch I'm looking at getting a oothe and keeping it in agiants pretzel tub? And how much should you feed one and how often?

Back
Top Bottom