Any Ideas Why such a weak appetite?

???wrong thread? pm's going on?
P Girl, the poo pic is not from his lizard, its example I posted it oP's request of 'normal' poo.

He actually stays well hydrated because he drinks from the water bottle dripper from my hand pretty much daily and he lets me know when hes done because he stops drinking and walks away. I will try to get pictures of his enclosure up soon. Thanks!

He should drink EVERY day, and several times a day too. In addition to your hand watering, do you not also offer misting and a dripper?

I do have a mister(Zoo Med's Habba Mist) that goes off for 30 seconds every 3 hours throughout the day.

Yes exactly. A new smear should be relatively cheap and well worthwhile, just be sure its clear. An apparent diminishing appetite from the usual, might indicate the parasites were not completely eradicated and that numbers might be building up, aka a reccurance.
You dont say how long the treatment was given or dosage/weight, or if a follow up smear was done.
Its a possibility to elimate before you go looking for anything else, always eliminate the obvious choices first.
:)

I thought a cham's weight might drop because of a parasite load but that it wouldn't really affect appetite. They would continue to act hungry and eat, but still drop weight. In fact I've heard that some anti-parasite meds have the opposite effect...a side effect is an appetite stimulant.

Most parasite treatments need to be repeated two or three times to get rid of all live stages of the parasites?

???wrong thread? pm's going on?
P Girl, the poo pic is not from his lizard, its example I posted it oP's request of 'normal' poo.

I did know it was your picture of an ideal poo. I was joking that it scared me when it popped up so big on my screen. I was also complimenting you on how nice your cham's poop looked. My comment on good news was related to his post saying that his cham was drinking. I do agree with what SandraCham said about drinking more though.

I'd still like to know what the parasite was/is. Metronidazole has been called an appetite stimulator by some because the killing of the parasites (which often do cause a decrease in appetite) then causes the reptile to feel better and eat more.

The number of treatments is dependant on the infestation level in the cham and the keeper's ability to keep the cage free of eggs that can potentially get back into the cham's body. You actually have to do more than one fecal test to determine if they are really eliminated. You can sometimes test between egg/parasite shedding cycles and come up with no parasites in the fecal being tested even though they are in the digestive tract.

well that is about how his poop looks. I'm going to wait and see if his weight stablilizes first. If not then I'll get him back to the vet

Yes I did. And as I mentioned before, his feces have remained looking normal now for about 3 weeks. However, it still does have a slight odor. When it was runny it smelled foul. Is it true that the feces should have no odor at all?

Hey golf my Ambilobe had the same problem about 5 months ago. Come to find out, he was infested heavily with coccidia. I effectively treated him with the drug ponzuril and it cured him after a second fecal was done.

I kept him well hydrated as mine drinks from the bottle like yours did. But no matter how much he drank or I sprayed he always had orange/pink urrates. I treated him again after his appetite diminished about 2 and a half months after the first treatment and again his fecal was clear. But I just couldnt get his urrate to the white color desired. He would also eat the dirt during the decrease of appetite.

I got him organic soil from a guy that makes his own, but after a while I figured the dirt had parasites because it came from cows poo. So I baked the next round of dirt in the oven and cleaned everything real well. I also started to feed pretty much nothing other than silkworms and treated him with Reptaid. Now he has pearl white colored urrate, is parasite free, and eats and acts like he just feels better.

I noticed his casque is nice,plump, and full of water from the silkies. So I think he was really dehydrated from parasites and treatments. If his urrate is still yellow/orange try getting some silkies. My ambi hates hornworms but you could also try those. Get another fecal done and disinfect the cage really well and hopefully he comes around. I hope this helps because it sounds very simular to my experience. Good luck!!!

Nice big cage....

Thats a nice big cage :) I would suggest setting your plants on an overturned pot to boost their height so they are in the upper area of the cage. Not too close so they don't get burned. It will also promote more drinking off the leaves if they are higher up. Just to confirm........your are misting the plant foliage several times a day? A cheapo bottle hand sprayer works just fine.....

Yes, I have a hand sprayer and the mister goes off for 30 seconds every 3 hours.

Thanks for the advice Matt.

Off to school!

Well, good news is that he ate 4 crickets today and drank a lot of water from my hand and weighed in at 91g which is 7 more grams than yesterday

7 grams overnight? Lol, Best to weigh them after a poop but before they feed. more accurate. In anycase, atleast your weighing it, I dont think many folk bother enough. Its an excellent tool for monitoring condition, gain/loss/maintanance. Keep at it.
Best wishes :)

Back
Top Bottom