Any ideas on how to duplicate this??? (W/ pic of enclosure!)

eahoormann

Scrolling through pinterest, I found this. And fell in LOVE! I'm thinking about just searching resale shops to find the wardrobe... but after that, I'm at a loss.. No idea how to 'chameleon-ize' it. Thinking screens on the sides and top with a clear PVC front. Maybe a 'sunken' top so you don't see the lamps- just the wardrobe.

Thoughts on where to start??

Attachments

• cdf4032935cf276502d3c0f753d74546.jpg
    cdf4032935cf276502d3c0f753d74546.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 197
Mine is a lot like that. I coated the inside with plasti-coat and made two sides plexiglass to retain humidity. After that I just added a couple of shelves for plants and put a few dozen eye screws around in it so it would be easier to attach vines, hanging plants, etc. with s hooks. Works like a charm!

Attachments

• IMG_4862.JPG
    IMG_4862.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 157
Mine is a lot like that. I coated the inside with plasti-coat and made two sides plexiglass to retain humidity. After that I just added a couple of shelves for plants and put a few dozen eye screws around in it so it would be easier to attach vines, hanging plants, etc. with s hooks. Works like a charm!

ooo very nice! where did you get the hutch and how did you do the sides?

I got the hutch for $35 from a thrift store. I attached the plexiglass sides with screws and left them out about 1/8" so I could use them as anchors. I had to make the door because the curio was just open. I stapled coated screen to the door and the back. All I had to do to the top was cut holes for the lights and dripper, then I stapled screen over those, too. The screen is coated fiberglass, not aluminum. That way it's safer for his nails. Here's the "before":

Attachments

• Condo before.jpg
    Condo before.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 124
I got the hutch for $35 from a thrift store. I attached the plexiglass sides with screws and left them out about 1/8" so I could use them as anchors. I had to make the door because the curio was just open. I stapled coated screen to the door and the back. All I had to do to the top was cut holes for the lights and dripper, then I stapled screen over those, too. The screen is coated fiberglass, not aluminum. That way it's safer for his nails. Here's the "before":

OH so it was completely open? that's an idea I hadn't thought about. My mind was going to a completely enclosed cabinet that I would have to remove the sides and doors.. Hmmm

Thank you for the ideas! :)

I made this one from an old TV cabinet, it too me 1 month and 2 weeks, it was a great experience and my Chameleons love the space now. I just added more air plants and orchard for my chameleons. My female (zee zee) loves to eat the air plants.

Attachments

• IMG_0991 2.JPG
    IMG_0991 2.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 148
I made this one from an old TV cabinet, it too me 1 month and 2 weeks, it was a great experience and my Chameleons love the space now. I just added more air plants and orchard for my chameleons. My female (zee zee) loves to eat the air plants.
How did you make that background? Or did you buy it?

Check out your local thrift stores and craigslist for potential pieces. Make sure the furniture you get is solid wood not pressed and is deep enough(18" min) to accommodate the mister spray.

The background is "Great Stuff Pond and Stone" foam. You can get it thru Amazon or Home Depot. It can be sprayed directly on the screen or on a backing of some kind.

Thanks a ton! I love the look of it! Being that its made for use with ponds I assume it does not absorb water. Is that right?

Yes, and it's non toxic to fish. It's been used a lot in reptile cages. You can coat it in silicon caulking or just use it as is.

Just know it is very messy to use and whatever it gets on it stays on. It also has some awful fumes so they aren't kidding about using it in a well ventilated area. There are a couple tutorials on this site.

I just checked out the advanced cage set up on the Dragon Strand site and saw how Bill uses the great stuff. This stuff is just plain awesome! I can't wait to start scaping my enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom