any help?

Ok, so what's the best way to pick up a mean chameleon?

very carefully! sorry, couldn't resist. I usually just put on a glove and let him bite, eventually he will realize that there is no point. Now, I don't mean to antagonize him all the time. I pick mine up when I need to clean the entire cage. Some people will just wet a paper towel (thick folds) and let him/her bite that. I say take your time and slowly introduce yourself with food, then go with hand in their enclosure feeding a little closer, and work up to you being able to easily handle them. Sorry, but patience is the key. Remember, these aren't animals that were made to hang out like rover or play ball. It is nature that helps determine their demeanor but nurturing can help.

I am also new here and would love to get advice from other members. My avatar is of Edwyn (name given until I get a feel for him). I just ordered him from Screameleons and the entire process has been amazing. I am sure Vince can tell you that I have been a pain but never once has he not been ready to answer all questions, sometimes the same one 3 times. I definitely recommend them. As I haven't had a chameleon in years, I am sure that this forum is going to be a great resource for info. Thanks all.

I will post some pics once he arrives and gets accustomed to his new home.

Hm, never tryed that. but i'll think about the glove thing... I've have my veiled for 1 week now and hes still being agressive towards me.

Maybe he is grumpy because he is too warm. Your posts all show the wrong attitude towards keeping chameleons. You cannot make him be a social creature. They are what they are.

If you need more justification when you return him, you can tell them that
in addition to not being nice, he never helped out with dinner and he wouldn't clean the house.

-Brad

Different colors can trigger different responses. Our veiled cham, Guido, tolerates handling pretty well. I learned (or, rather, he taught me) that he responds better (or worse) depending on what colors I am wearing. He changes color according to his mood and frame of mind, and he assumes I do the same. He looks me over each time and seems to try to assess my mood and intentions. Friend or foe? Therefore, if I approach him wearing a color he finds offensive, it puts him on the defense, and can even scare him. So I keep a few loose fitting shirts handy in neutral green tones. I can slip them over whatever I'm wearing, before I approach him. This seems to make a big difference.

Different colors can trigger different responses.... I learned (or, rather, he taught me) that he responds better (or worse) depending on what colors I am wearing...
Howdy,

Over the years, I've seen strong responses to the color of clothes that comes near my critters. Just yesterday, a woman was here picking-up some of my dubia roaches. She was wearing one of those green nurses outfits. My panther and veiled both scurried up to the front screens. Panther really wanted out. I took him out for a little bit and put him back hoping that he had his fill of being outside his enclosure. I put him back and a minute later he was back at the front ready to come out again! The veiled sat at the front, just short of clawing at the door. His name is Timid... Go figure...:rolleyes:. Anyway, don't show-up in that room wearing red! Christmas-time red sweaters are a big no-no :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom