Any good guides for care and feeding of dubias?

BryanP

Avid Member
Are there any good guides or websites or even youtube videos of how to keep and care for dubia's?

I know the basics and I have a reproducing colony but I'd like some more information and nuance.

Thanks!

Keeping and care is very different than breeding. If you're not breeding, they are the easiest thing to sustain. Keep them in the dark at room temperature, give them vegetable scraps, and they live for months. Reproduction requires higher temperatures.

I’m sure there’s ton of videos on YouTube with lots of great info. I have discoids which are similar and don’t really fuss with them much. I keep them bioactively in a large bin - dwarf white isopods and springtails for clean up crew. In the past I made them a little ’house’ out of cork bark. I ran out of cork bark scrap for a new house so just bought them a wooden hide. I lightly mist one small area (about 1/4 of the bin) as needed. I keep them in my garage which is super hot during the summer and any day now I’ll be looking for a heat mat to stick onto the side of their bin to keep them a toasty 85-90F. I feed them the same foods that I feed my beardies- fresh organic greens, various squashes, bell pepper, sweet potato, berries (banana for a roach treat), and then I usually give a bit of Repashy Bug Burger that I’ve added some spirulina and bee pollen to. Then every 4-6 weeks or when I see a good number of babies I move them to their own clean (not bioactive) bin so I can easily grab some at feeding time. After they had developed some weird wings, I was told they needed protein, so after removing the babies I’ll give the adults a few pieces of dog kibble.

Be careful breeding them...looked up if I could find/breed them here in FL and FWC is MAD adamant about NOT breeding them because they could get be "invasive" here (if an accident occurred and some got out.)

I only found this out because of these huge beetle things here that look just like them...and i figured i could flush their systems and breed em....fwc says they are palmetto bugs...ik they arnt. I'll try and get pictures 🤔😅🤣

Be careful breeding them...looked up if I could find/breed them here in FL and FWC is MAD adamant about NOT breeding them because they could get be "invasive" here (if an accident occurred and some got out.)

I only found this out because of these huge beetle things here that look just like them...and i figured i could flush their systems and breed em....fwc says they are palmetto bugs...ik they arnt. I'll try and get pictures 🤔😅🤣
Do you mean discoids? They are legal here in Florida which is why I have them. Dubia are illegal in Florida (which is why I don’t have them). There are a few other legal roaches for FL. I go by this list. https://www.roachcrossing.com/category/for-sale/cockroaches/roach-type/florida-legal/

Back
Top Bottom