Any advice setting up Mistking & drainage in Vivexotic Viv?

toyochris

Hi all,

So I've had Rango for a month now and have made substantial improvements to his enclosure (Much more live plants, more places to climb higher up, etc.. etc..) I've also started a Dubia Roach colony in the cupboard under his enclosure :p

I would like to buy a mistking system and set it up in his enclosure but I am worried about all that water just sitting at the bottom and flooding the viv (and my flat) .

I was thinking perhaps to drill some holes at the bottom of the enclosure leading to a bucket but now sure how to direct the water (There's a few heavy plant pots sitting on the bottom)

Any ideas would be graciously received, if someone has adapted their vivextoic enclosure or just more practically minded than me!
viv1910.jpg

From the looks of it that is just plan wood. Is it sealed (Water proof)? If it isn’t I would seal it. I can tell you from my experience that unsealed wood or laminate and heavy water don’t mix well (Not to mention humility). It warps. You can get some pet safe wood sealer for the sides, or use an aquarium grade sealer. For the bottom you can get either a plastic bin made for washing machines or you can do a robber sealer (liner or liquid)(Get pet safe). I did the rubber sealer with a cheap kitchen drain into a bucket.

There is a really good thread with general drainage ideas https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/
and another about sealers https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/question-about-wood-sealant-on-a-custom-enclosure.56613/.

ae984e6d-8061-49b5-a383-26785a5fd426_400.jpg

I use what's showen above works great it's a little bigger then I'd like it but dose the job.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 150
I used hockey pucks to raise the cage out of the water there easy to clean don't rot angle the tray to where u want it to drain

The problem with the Vivexotic is that the cupboard and entire viv is all together so I can't raise the viv up from it's cabinet!

I did find a good idea in the draining thread that I'm going to attempt: Drill a hole and put a kitchen sink drainage tube in and pond liner to funnel the water out.. Will let you guys know how it pans out :p

Back
Top Bottom