Any advice for a first time chameleon owner

bjones51982

I havent bought my chameleon yet but i have purchased an enclosure and several other supplies. Any advice on supplies or cage set up would be much appreciated.

Can you please post a list of the current supplies you have?

We can tell you what to keep, what to get, and what to get rid of :)

Saintjimmy- as of now i have a 18x18x36 aluminum screen cage. Two exxoterra vines, two exxoterra plastic leaves, a mister bottle, 60 watt heat bulb, 20" fluorescent fixture, reptisun bulb, zoomed calcium and reptivite.
Dgood- i was thinking a veiled chameleon.

I've got some advice for you.

With the veiled chameleon, you WILL have to buy a 24x24x48" cage when it grows up.

If you get a jacksons, you will NEVER have to buy another cage.

The UVB fixture is awesome. Is it a big long tube light? perfect.

You might wanna buy some more vines (maybe 2 more twisty vines) and a live plant.

I suggest some of these:

Umbrella plant 25 inches tall will make a great humidity keeper and the branches are nice and strong. it also provides a snack if the chameleon wants to eat it, it is completely safe.
lg00013_l.jpg

Ficus 25 inches tall will fill the cage nice. I'm recommending 25 inches tall because the cage is what 30 inches? Just a standard tree and provides many climbing branches and foliage. Again, they can eat this and they are safe.
VP-Ficus-Benjamina-feature_590x590.jpg

Pothos (hang from the top of cage) with lots of vines. You can buy them at home depot, or your local nursery (any of these plants actually). Provides a snack (again) if the cham wants to munch, and lots of climbing vines.
images

r cage.

You might wanna buy some more vines (maybe 2 more twisty vines) and a live plant.

Currently I have that size cage, and I have a ficus, 1 bendy vine, and just a bunch of branches. If you can find a safe tree, the branches are free!! And then all you have to do is clean them :D

Saintjimmy- as of now i have a 18x18x36 aluminum screen cage. Two exxoterra vines, two exxoterra plastic leaves, a mister bottle, 60 watt heat bulb, 20" fluorescent fixture, reptisun bulb, zoomed calcium and reptivite.
Dgood- i was thinking a veiled chameleon.

Please do not purchase a veiled chameleon from Petco or petsmart..
There are many site sponsors who are more than happy to sell you a healthy veiled for less then you can even purchase them there.

As for your reptisun bulb- which one is it? 5.0? 10.0?
Also if you have the receipt I suggest taking the light and the fixture back and purchasing a packaged one here :
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22t5hofihouw.html

If you are planning on getting a baby you can purchase a very inexpensive small cage here
http://www.reptiledirect.com/reptarium38165x165x30.aspx

You do not want a baby in a full sized enclosure. That is the most inexpensive route. Once they are about 7-9 months old you can move them on to their big boy cage. Just depending on how fast they grow and what size their adult enclosure will be. People will use a 24x24x48 but personally I think that's a little to small for an adult. Just remember -The bigger the better!

Back
Top Bottom