Ants

Brook

So... I've got a clutch of panthers that are due in a couple months. I know fruit flys are the staple but ive always wanted a colony of ants. has anyone tried this?

Most ants:
sting
squirt acid
are aggressive

If you can find some in your back yard that are not this, you may have a shot. Yes some ants when you poke the nest they run for the hills. But if you put 100 ants in your baby bin with a dozen chams, and you have a few "dumb" ones, them ants are going to work together to find "food" and defend their sisters in arms.

On top of that, its illegal in the usa to ship queens across state lines...

Hmmm ya. I'd be raising my own so i would try and get a breed that mitigated those tendencies. been reading every where and the answer range from fuck no to that's what the eat in the wild. to address what you said, arent chameleons for the most part immune to stings and bites? I know bees and wasp are consumed in the wild. I would definitely be looking a species that does not squirt acid and reduced aggressive tendencies. also if they crawl plastic so i cant keep them contained in a deli cup id but the ants on a rock and fill with water so they cant escape and prey on the chameleons.

Hmmm ya. I'd be raising my own so i would try and get a breed that mitigated those tendencies. been reading every where and the answer range from fuck no to that's what the eat in the wild. to address what you said, arent chameleons for the most part immune to stings and bites? I know bees and wasp are consumed in the wild. I would definitely be looking a species that does not squirt acid and reduced aggressive tendencies. also if they crawl plastic so i cant keep them contained in a deli cup id but the ants on a rock and fill with water so they cant escape and prey on the chameleons.

They aren't immune to stings, they just aren't afraid of stinging insects. Ants are definite no-go imo. If you want to keep ants, then keep ants! But stick to fruit flies for feeding

Back
Top Bottom