Another Rescued Veiled…Another Gravid Female?!?

Hello!! Meet Star, our newest wild caught rescue. We received her on Friday October 22 and noticed right away she is likely female and possibly Gravid. Eek!!!

We recently and sadly lost our first female rescue after she dropped 27 eggs. That’s another thread tho.

We have moved Star to her new cage with a lay bin and plenty of hiding spots. Since she’s wild we have no idea how far she is in gestation or how old she is etc.

I’m posting to confirm our suspicions that she is in fact a she, and that she is Gravid.

😊🦎

For those wondering, all 27 eggs are healthy and fertile. We will see how many go full term.

Attachments

• C41E0517-E8A5-40EF-AD55-F3E6D517A044.jpeg
    C41E0517-E8A5-40EF-AD55-F3E6D517A044.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 5DE8B771-8F7F-47E9-B831-28D71356193E.jpeg
    5DE8B771-8F7F-47E9-B831-28D71356193E.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 94A39545-F51B-4E96-9BD5-A6BF1BA37E2D.jpeg
    94A39545-F51B-4E96-9BD5-A6BF1BA37E2D.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 106
  • 219AFAD0-F4C9-4906-AB4D-C8CD7721F52B.jpeg
    219AFAD0-F4C9-4906-AB4D-C8CD7721F52B.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 4C110AFF-F43D-47D0-A8DE-EF4801503E6B.jpeg
    4C110AFF-F43D-47D0-A8DE-EF4801503E6B.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 99
  • C878886C-BBD8-4DAF-BFAA-85837A9FDF43.jpeg
    C878886C-BBD8-4DAF-BFAA-85837A9FDF43.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 6D01FB0F-787F-4595-A042-0135C409B5D8.jpeg
    6D01FB0F-787F-4595-A042-0135C409B5D8.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 114
I'm sorry about your other female! This rescue is indeed female and looks to be gravid. Could you post a pic of your entire cage (lights to bottom), please? It looks to be on the ground and not filled in enough, both of which aren't good. How high-traffic is the area she's in, as well? Females need lots of plant coverage and absolute privacy when laying. Chams feel much safer the higher up they are, as well.

There are no lights, we live in southern Florida, so nature provides all that lol. Her cage is up off the ground and rather large. (36x36x36)

This was taken about half way through the build. On the bottom we have a washed play sand filled bin with a good amount of coverage. When the monsoon stops, I will take some better pics. Ropes are to encourage growth of the ivy's. There are several ground cover plants and places for her to hide along with a lay bin in the bottom of the container filled with washed play sand. Door on the front and everything. Nice and secure. :)

We use feeder crickets and dust them appropriately. (Hubby is a frogger, so we are on point with supplements) Treats are worms, and we are breeding silk worms to hopefully use as our primary feeder.

Hope this covers all the typical questions. Appreciate the confirmation on female and likely gravid. Looking forward to more baby lizards!!!!

1635429996538.png

The thing with the ropes is that if your adorable chameleon were to climb on them, she could get her nails stuck in the rope and they would get ripped out. I would add a bunch of sticks in place of the rope, and it would be a lot safer for your Cham, while still encouraging growth of the Ivy’s.😁

In the new custom space.
So you need to add tons of veiled-safe live plants (no fake and with rocks too big for her to eat covering the soil in the pots), branches (non-toxic and sap-free species), and vines (preferably all real, no moss, rope, or Exo Terra vines at all). What size is your lay bin, and what is the substrate in it? The ropes need to be taken out ASAP. Here's two great cage set-up links and a plant list that has veiled-safe plant options:
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

If you could fill this out in as much detail as possible, as well, we can help make sure everything is 100% for your cham, too!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So you need to add tons of veiled-safe live plants (no fake and with rocks too big for her to eat covering the soil in the pots), branches (non-toxic and sap-free species), and vines (preferably all real, no moss, rope, or Exo Terra vines at all). What size is your lay bin, and what is the substrate in it? The ropes need to be taken out ASAP. Here's two great cage set-up links and a plant list that has veiled-safe plant options:
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

If you could fill this out in as much detail as possible, as well, we can help make sure everything is 100% for your cham, too!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thanks for all the help! Went through all this about 5-6 weeks ago. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions on sex and gestation. We are going to "remodel" some things though, to make it safer for our chams. Appreciate all the feedback!

Warm Regards. :)

Thanks for all the help! Went through all this about 5-6 weeks ago. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions on sex and gestation. We are going to "remodel" some things though, to make it safer for our chams. Appreciate all the feedback!

Warm Regards. :)
I went through your threads and didn't see a filled-out health form. It'd be great to fill it out, better safe than sorry!

How does hatching all the eggs work? Can they be adopted out?
Keep up the nice work.
I always think of a rescue as sick or unwanted.. A little different from invasive species type stuff.. Then again, I would be out there collecting myself.. SO-- extremely bias with my ideas.. :)

How does hatching all the eggs work? Can they be adopted out?
Keep up the nice work.
I always think of a rescue as sick or unwanted.. A little different from invasive species type stuff.. Then again, I would be out there collecting myself.. SO-- extremely bias with my ideas.. :)
We can sell them if we so desire. Florida just doesn’t want them wrecking havoc on their natural environments. I’m sure they’re cleaning out some sort of bug habitat LOL.

I totally get the invasive species issue with some animals but not with others. I would have to think of all the invasive species and what their food sources were but Chameleons are a little different especially Veileds ( love them so much). I know they eat all kinds of bugs, frogs, lizards, snails, and plants. Small list but not sure how important they are to the natural habitat.. As mentioned before (different thread) when Sticky Tongue Farms was importing Panthers (many years ago). In just a 1/2 hour tour I had seen a Panther eat a frog (spring peeper). Wild caught Panther and native frog. So, I have supper mixed feelings and ideas about invasive and native. A flea might be native but would not want a law protecting them or a tick either..
Thanks again for all your hard work. (y)

I totally get the invasive species issue with some animals but not with others. I would have to think of all the invasive species and what their food sources were but Chameleons are a little different especially Veileds ( love them so much). I know they eat all kinds of bugs, frogs, lizards, snails, and plants. Small list but not sure how important they are to the natural habitat.. As mentioned before (different thread) when Sticky Tongue Farms was importing Panthers (many years ago). In just a 1/2 hour tour I had seen a Panther eat a frog (spring peeper). Wild caught Panther and native frog. So, I have supper mixed feelings and ideas about invasive and native. A flea might be native but would not want a law protecting them or a tick either..
Thanks again for all your hard work. (y)
Yes with invasive it is tricky. Most laws just blanket cover and it is the enforcement that changes. Florida has so many it gets hard to tell who is who, like the brown anole that does not belong. I also just red something on earth worms. Apparently they are not native to the US and have actually created changes in the wat forests hold and disperse nutrients. Ultimately in FL the caught you capturing and releasing Chams not much will be said. But if it is say Burmese Pythons, well they will be upset, or if you are relocating as in catching in one area and releasing in another, this would be bad.

The thing with the ropes is that if your adorable chameleon were to climb on them, she could get her nails stuck in the rope and they would get ripped out. I would add a bunch of sticks in place of the rope, and it would be a lot safer for your Cham, while still encouraging growth of the Ivy’s.😁
I've seen some people apply silicone to their ropes and then press in some substrate to protect the chams nails, this might be an option for you 👍

Back
Top Bottom